What Are We? (William)

It was the next day after the confession. I replayed the kiss in my head all night. I felt his hands, his lips, his everything. But we never discussed anything. So what were we?

I went to the Dispatch as per usual, and started my day.

It started the same as always:

I walk into the door, Eric and Alan wave as they walk away, followed by a casual eyeroll at the receptionist Ronald was flirting with. Middle finger to Ronald as I move past him, casual Simba lift from Grell for being late...,
But where was Will to patronize me?
He always would get mad at me for being late, and yell at me for ten minutes before I went to my desk. But he wasn't there. Did he not notice I was late? Of course he would. So what was different today?
I went to my desk with another red note on it:
"Still don't have any white cards. Come to my office, I know you were late. It's fine. -William"
It's fine? Since when was being late fine? What is going on?
I walked to his office before Grell could start curling my hair. I got to the door and knocked apprehensively as I waited for his monotone "come in", before I entered.
I knocked, and after a few seconds, he said "it's open".
I walked in, very confused, as he was in his regular uniform, sitting in his chair, looking upset, but trying to look stern. He ended up looking constipated.
"Will, what's going on?" I asked.
"It's William. We have to talk," he replied. He was very serious about this.
"Okay, what do we need to talk about? Is this about yesterday?" I questioned.
"Precisely. ____, I was being irrational. We cannot be together. We cannot have a relationship. It is simply against moral and business code", William said.
Against moral and business code? I was just with Ronald not too long ago. What's the difference between Ronald and William?
"I am your boss. Your superior. Technically, no coworkers are allowed to be with each other, but I've learned to ignore that. I let my feelings get in the way of law, and I'm sorry, but I simply can't love you while you are here" William said. He sounded like he was about to cry. He wasn't happy about this, he was genuinely upset.
"What law has said we can't? What moral code says we can't be together? Can't anyone understand that love should transcend status? We're both professional, we wouldn't allow our relationship to infiltrate our work," I replied.
"If our relationship ends, so would our professional relationship, and i simply can't lose you if our relationship ended".
"You couldn't lose me?"
"No. I love you too much for you to go away. You'd either run off, or I would retire. I couldn't handle not having you in my life in some way, and being with me will not make things easier. I shouldn't be with anyone."
"You're allowed to love! How do you know what will work out, and what will not? You saved my life on that street. You changed my life-"
"THAT'S WHY I DONT WANT TO LOSE YOU!" William screamed. He yelled so loud I felt my eardrums would burst.
"I fell in love with you the moment I saw you on the street. Training you, changing you, helping you, I fell even harder. I-I love you so much. I don't want to lose you, especially as a friend. ____, don't make this harder than it has to be. Just please understand that I can't happen."
"I will not understand. I won't let you push your feelings down and stop you from loving me because of your job. I won't do that to you. I love you, and I won't leave you. You deserve love" I said. Will started to cry. I started to cry as well. I wanted him to hold me and tell me he'd be there forever, but I know why he is saying this. I just don't want him to.
"You don't know if you will stay with me forever. I don't know if you remember this, but we live forever. If it's not with you, then it is with no one. I've never met someone like you, and if there is no guarantee of us, then I won't chance anything-"
"That's ridiculous! When I say I love you, that means I love you. I'm here for you. And I am with you. We will figure things out, but I guarantee that I love you, and that's what should matter," I said. I moved closer to him and grabbed his hands before he could hide them.
"I don't want to lose you."
"You won't lose me."
"You can't promise that."
"Well, I am, and I don't break promises. I love you, William."
"I love you too, my dear."
After he finished his sentence, he wrapped his arms around me, and held me close to him. He stared into my eyes and moved one of his hands to my face. He smiled. Truly smiled. And kissed me so softly that I could barely feel it. He pushed me closer, and kissed me harder, making my chest burn and my cheeks hot. He made me melt as he held me, as between kisses, he just whispered, "I love you."
I knew what we were now.
I knew what we are now.
I know what we will be forever.