Chapter 4: Off With Our Heads

Today was the day of the unbirthday party. Usually, Regan would be tremendously excited for when Riddle had randomly decided to hold one, but today...

She was beyond nervous.

With how strict and rather ticked-off her fiancé has been recently... she couldn't help but fear for what monstrosity would transpire at this unbirthday party.

And she was right to be scared.

With a melody from the trumpets, a Heartslabyul student announced at the top of his lungs, "All hail our leader and his significant other, the red sovereign and the kind lady themselves... Housewarden Riddle and Ms. Regan!"

"We salute you, Housewarden Riddle and Ms. Regan!" all the Heartslabyul students yelled at the top of their lungs as Riddle entered the scene alongside Trey and Regan, his arm wrapped around Regan's waist and his hand firmly placed on her hip. Everyone was dressed in their dorm uniforms, since the Queen of Heart's rules mandated formal attire on party days.

"Hm." Riddle hummed in contentment as he placed a hand on his hip, "The garden roses are red, the tablecloths are white... This seems a proper unbirthday indeed. Is there a dormouse asleep in the teapot, as there should be?"

"Of course." Trey replied with a nervous yet warm smile, "And should it become necessary, we've also prepared the jam to spread on his nose." "Very good." Riddle smiled, his eyes glancing over to his sides to be met with his the shinning amethyst eyes of his betrothed. "Everything seems to perfect, my beloved. Wouldn't you agree?" Regan hummed with a nod, her heart racing a million miles out of fear... If one thing were to go wrong...

She had no idea what Riddle would do.

~*~*~*~

"Before we begin the croquet tournament, let us make a toast." Riddle announced from his seat at the head table, where he, Regan, Trey, and Cater's seats were. The Housewarden sat in a large, heart-shaped king's seat while Regan sat in a smaller version of Riddle's next to him. Trey and Cater sat in normal chairs, Trey to Riddle's right and Cater to Regan's left. However, Cater wasn't actually in his seat... but was instead with Deuce, Ace, Yuu, and Grim.

"Does everyone have their teacup? On this most significantly unauspicious of days, I bid all in attendance... a very merry unbirthday!" Riddle announced with a raised teacup, and the crowd followed. "To a very merry unbirthday!"

"Ace, this is your chance!" Cater eagerly told the freshman, who instantly started to sweat. "Right..." Ace stood up with a tart in his hands, his friends and Cater following right behind him just in case.

"Uh, Housewarden, sir..." Ace approached the main table, a nervous grin on his face. He was sweating bullets. Upon seeing the freshman, Riddle crossed his arms. "Ah, it's you. The tart thief."

"Yeah, so, I wanted to apologize for eating that tart. We made you a new tart to replace it." "Hmm?" Riddle's interest was peaked... and so was Regan's. So this is why Trey and Cater were busy making a tart...! The pieces of the puzzle were all coming together in her head.

"And what kind of a tart is it?" "I'm so glad you asked!" Ace brightly smiled at his Housewarden's question, "It's a chestnut tart, and I swear we weren't stingy with the chestnuts...!"

"A CHESTNUT tart?!" Riddle's face twisted into one of absolute shock, before his eyebrows furrowed and he became absolutely livid. Regan shot out of her seat, ready for anything. Ace very quickly freaked out, "What?!" wondering what the hell went wrong--

The red-headed leader stood up from his seat, crossing his arms firmly. "The Queen of Heart's rule 562: 'One must never bring a chestnut tart to an unbirthday tea party.' This is an utterly flagrant rule violation! Do you understand what you've done?!"