Chapter 19: Not-So Scary

Today was a beautiful Saturday. The sun had only risen four hours ago, and yet Octavinelle's Housewarden sat in his desk in the VIP room, dressed in his dorm clothes as he once again reviewed the profits made from the Spelldrive tournament.

Azul Ashengrotto let a quick sigh slip from his smooth lips, his tense shoulders relaxing just a bit as his body fell back into his chair. Then he raised an eyebrow, looking up at the door.

It was quiet... too quiet.

Where was everyone?

It was nine in the morning... so how come he heard no noise coming from the lounge outside his office?

Azul slammed his hands against the desk and with a sigh, he shot up from his chair and marched over to the door. Gripping the handle with his gloved-hand, the octo-boy opened the door... and raised an eyebrow. The lounge was completely empty?

With suspicion rising within Octavinelle's Housewarden, Azul took a step forward as he swiftly closed the door behind him without looking back--

"Boo!"

Azul's bluish-purple eyes widened ever-so slightly for the quickest of seconds as they darted over the sweet hum that came from his right. And to his absolute surprise, there stood Vanessa Crowley, dressed up in a mummy costume (identical to the Octavinelle Halloween mummy costumes) with her her hands clenched into fists to her chest and the cutest of smiles of her face.

The light-grey haired boy blushed tremendously. Even though he had flinched at her sudden exclamation and appearance... he wasn't scared at all. But despite the fact he wasn't scared one bit... on the inside he was completely melting.

Holy shit she's cute holy shit she's cute holy shit she's cute holy shit she's cute—

He honestly thought he should monetize her cuteness.

In the midst of the Housewarden staring at the Lady with widened eyes and a blush, Vanessa slightly tilted her head to the side, confused as to what was wrong. "Did I scare you...?" she nervously asked with a pout, beginning to feel quite upset. However, the octo-boy quickly reformed himself and giggled cutely as he placed his hands on his hips. "Oh sweetheart, I deal with Jade and Floyd on a regular basis. You've got nothing on me. Besides..."

Azul now leaned in and his right hand grasped her upper arm, while his left hand held her cheek and he caressed his thumb on her cheek. Their noses were so close to touching, but regardless the boy smirked down at the blushing girl underneath him. "You're way to cute to ever scare me, my darling."

"So." Azul suddenly stepped back, placing his hands back onto his hips. "Would you care to explain to me why you thought it would be a good idea to dress up as a mummy and scare me?"

At his question, the girl's emerald eyes shot open in excitement and a grin filled her once droopy pink lips. "Floydie and I wanted to do matching costumes so I wanted to test out if this costume was good enough. But I guess it's not..." she frowned once again, making Azul gasp in a panic. "No, Angelfish— It was quite adorable—" "But I can't be adorable! I have to be scary!" Vanessa instantly fired back, pouting with her fists clenched to her sides; She looked like an upset child.

"Well, if Floyd is doing a partner's costume with you, then you two would contradict each other perfectly." Azul instinctively replied to her pout, causing the Lady to stare at her partner in utter confusion. "Huh?"

At her innocence, Azul chuckled to himself with a clenched fist to his chin, "What I mean to say, sweetheart, is that you would be the most adorable mummy standing next to the most frightening mummy. A truly balanced duo."