Chapter 18. Once Upon a Dream

𝕺𝖓𝖈𝖊 𝖀𝖕𝖔𝖓 𝖆 𝕿𝖎𝖒𝖊...

There lived a prince.

Except he wasn't just any prince.

He was the prince of faes, and the future ruler of his land. Descended from the Draconia clan, he was one of the most powerful mages in the entire world.

But despite being so undeniably powerful...

He was trapped.

Alone.

Until one particular day...

It was a Saturday. The sun shone over Briar Valley, and the prince of the land tiredly awoke from his slumber.

Brushing his hair out of his face, Malleus Draconia let out the softest of yawns. He then rubbed his lime green eyes, his eyelids batting rapidly in order to try and fully wake himself up. His eyes squinched at the bright light shining into his room from the windows, even if they were covered by black curtains.

Looking around his large room, Malleus let out a quick and heavy sigh as he stood up from his bed. His stern eyes scanned the area around him, taking in the much empty space left between the few sofas, closets, and drawers.

Was it always this empty?

Was it always this lonely?

Malleus' stiff shoulders fell slightly. Although he could not understand why, the horned-boy felt sad.

But regardless of that unrecognizable feeling, the prince shook his head and clenched his fists to the side, letting out a soft exhale. Lifting his finger up, he used his incredibly strong magic to simply change his clothes. He now wore a black hoodie with custom-sewn holes in the hood for his horns, black leggings, and black sneakers with ankle-high black socks.

In his family, it was tradition that the Draconia's always wear dark colours, their most favourable colour being black. This was, of course, looked over if a situational event transpired, such as them being forced to wear light colours for a uniform, for example.

Now, why was the prince of the faes dressing up in such casual wear? It wasn't because he wanted to be comfy around the castle, in fact he was forced to wear nice clothes even in his own home just in case someone would visit the castle, like a civilian or an ambassador.

No, it was because he was sneaking out of the castle.

Every Saturday, the prince would dress himself in an easily disguisable outfit and visit the large gardens situated around Briar Valley. His favourites were the ones specifically tutored towards tourists, as they were filled with monuments and statues. His personal favourite garden, specifically, housed only gargoyle statues.

Closing his eyes, Malleus used a teleportation spell to magically appear in front of his favourite garden. He would always start by visiting his personal favourite one first, for he found that there was no better way to start the day then saying hi to the large collection of gargoyle statues.

Slipping his horns through his hood, Malleus' face was now shadowed by his hoodie as he walked around the garden. He walked up to the two gargoyle statues that stood at the entrance to the garden, which he named Felsen and Stein, and waved hello to them.

Sure, he knew they weren't alive-- If he ever met an alive gargoyle, he would go bat-shit crazy. But to him, they were essentially living beings... even though they were just carved stone.

With a stern nod and a proud smile to the two statues, Malleus entered through the front gates. The large, black-laced metal gates had already been opened, meaning that Roxer was already here. The very old fae was the current caretaker of the gardens.