Chapter 4 - Bullet's woman?

As they stepped out of the nice warm restaurant, the young woman almost instantly began to shiver from the cold. She was trying her best to move as quickly as possible but it was obvious she was in pain. "I'm going to pick you up, okay? I'll be able to walk you to the car faster and then we can get you out of the cold quicker." Bullet said softly and she just nodded.

Bullet scooped her up bridal style and Dot hurried to the SUV and opened the back door. Bullet's heart began to pound for several reasons and he felt so confused. First, because she was so light even though she wasn't short or small but because she felt so right in his arms that he wanted to hold her closer but was afraid of hurting her because she felt so fraile. Second was because he didn't understand what he was feeling but he recognized that he felt very protective of her, more than he had ever felt for a rescue before.

Bullet set her down gently on the seat and turned to Dot. "Dot, if you can get me a blanket out of the back please?"

"Sure." Dot replied and hurried to the back and opened the tailgate. She grabbed a blanket and noticed the cooler with bottles of water. She grabbed a bottle then closed the door and hurried back to Bullet who was helping the young woman with her seat belt. She passed him the blanket and water and when she saw the look on Bullet's face, she asked "Do you want me to drive?"

Bullet was torn between letting Dot drive so that he could sit with this girl and needing time to think when he wasn't touching her. Touching her was doing something strange to him and he wasn't sure what to do. He felt like he needed time to think.

"No, that's alright. If you can sit back here with her, I'll take us back to the compound as fast as I can." Bullet said as he draped the blanket over the young woman and carefully tucked it in around her.

Dot hid her smile and didn't argue but hurried around the SUV so that she could get in without having to disturb her. Bullet was surprised when the young woman asked him "What is your name, please?"

Bullet felt like someone had beaned him right between the eyes as he just looked at her for a moment. Her voice was like how a honeysuckle blossom tasted, soft and light but sweet and pleasing.

"They call me Bullet. What's your name?" He replied.

"Tamara but he kept calling me Tammy. I prefer Mara." She said softly. "Thank you, Bullet."

"My pleasure, Mara." Bullet smiled at her and she gave him a small smile back. Bullet felt like someone had just squeezed his heart as he closed the door and got behind the wheel. He looked up through the window and saw Ace and the others "assisting" the man out of the restaurant.

Bullet pulled out and drove as quickly as possible, passing Edmond driving the disposal van as they made the turn on to the road leading to the compound.

Bullet had never really thought about having a woman of his own mainly because he wasn't the best looking man in the club. At only 6'4", he was tall by most people's standards but not compared to many of the men in the club. That wasn't to say that he didn't want a woman of his own, he just thought that out of all the men in the club, he would be the last one a woman would choose except for maybe Buzzard.

Besides, so long as Prez didn't totally restrict the club whores from coming around, he didn't really need.............. Before he could even finish that thought, he knew it wasn't true since the past few times they had come around the house, he just couldn't get drunk enough to even want to take one of them to bed. That kind of sex just didn't appeal to him anymore. Hell, he hadn't even been jacking off lately.

Right now, he couldn't explain what it was about this woman that seemed to be drawing him in but he felt a pull towards her. He drove around to the back of the clubhouse, pulling as close as he could get with the SUV. He threw the SUV into park then jumped out of the driver's seat and ran to bang on the door then ran back to get Mara out of the backseat.