Chapter 5 - Mara's story

As the last man entered the meeting room, Prez gave Amanda a quick kiss and told her he would see her later then entered the meeting room and closed the door behind himself. He walked to the front and told Wizard to pull up Larry's address, tossing him Larry's driver's license.

As soon as Wizard had a picture of Larry's house up on the screen, Prez called the meeting to order and said "This is the house of the jackass hanging in the shed right now. He snatched Bullet's woman off the side of the road last Saturday evening and has been abusing her ever since." Prez said and looked over at Bullet who had his hands gripping the chair arms with white knuckles as he breathed through his anger.

Prez went on to explain to the men that had not been there this morning at the diner what had gone down. "He wouldn't allow her to take her purse with them this morning, probably because he didn't want her to have her ID in case she managed to get away from him. We found out just a few minutes ago that he was planning on selling her to a man who has been running a small brothel outside of Mt. Steel. It's a bar called Hank's Hangout."

That information caused a minor uproar as comments of "Hey, that's in our territory!" "No fucking way!" as well as a variety of colorful swear words. Bullet, however, looked pale.

"Look. I know you all want to rush out and find this place and put an end to it but we have no idea if there is a second location in addition to the bar or what we might be walking into. This can't be just a one man operation so I'll bet he has back up. We need to take our time, gather our intel and then we'll go in and rescue the women and close this place down.

Now I've dealt with the sheriff in Mt. Steel before and I can't say that I trust him so we need to be careful here. For now, Bullet wants to go collect her purse at the jackasses house and then go get her car. Wizard, Mara said that her car is about 2 miles before the exit to get on 64 from Highway 60. Can you bring up a map showing how far that is from the asshole's house?" Prez asked.

Wizard already had the map showing Larry's address right on the edge of Mt. Steel so he just zoomed out until they could see approximately where the area where her car should be would be located. They were only about 5 miles apart. Wizard also brought up the address of Hank's Hangout, they were only about a mile apart but Prez was nervous because the area around Larry's house didn't seem to have many houses that they could see anyway.

"Team 1, go get ready to go. Take Jess with you. Make sure you have your kevlar and helmets on this one. The rest of you, be ready to roll. If we don't contact you within forty five minutes after we leave here, Spokes, send ten more men to Larry's address." Prez instructed.

"Prez, we should take his truck to his house. Maybe if his neighbors see it, they will think it's him coming home and not bother us." Ace said.

"Good idea, Ace. Did you happen to see what he drove up in?" Prez asked.

"No. He was already at the diner when Dot and I got there. But Mara should know." Ace replied.

Prez looked at Bullet and he nodded, then stood up to leave. Bullet walked down the hall and saw Melinda coming out of Mara's room. "Melinda? Is Mara still awake?" He called out when he got closer.

"Yes. She's in the tub soaking. Why? What do you need?" Melinda asked.

"We need to know what kind of car or truck Larry was driving and if there are any neighbors living close to Larry and are the keys to her car in her purse?" Bullet asked her the questions they needed to know.

"Hang on and I'll ask." Melinda said as she went back into the room. She went over to the bathroom door and knocked lightly. "Mara? Bullet needs to know what kind of truck someone named Larry was driving and if he has any neighbors that live close by and where are the keys to your car?" Melinda called out.