Chapter 20 - Discoveries & Decisions for Tank & Nicole

When Tank and Nicole got back to the compound, almost immediately, Prez called for church. Tank hurried to help Nicole carry her things down to her room and then, after thanking her for going to lunch with him, he told her he would see her later and hurried down to join the others in the meeting room.

Nicole took some time to put their clothes away and then went over to the playroom to let her kids know she was back. Amy was napping with Kelly on the toddler beds that were set up on one side of the room and Melinda was reading a book while she watched over the older kids.

"I'm sorry we were gone so long, Melinda, but I got a lot of stuff done. Tank took me to my job to talk to my boss and I collected some clothes and my car from my trailer. Tank said he's going to have someone here service it for me." Nicole explained.

"Good. The kids have been getting along great. Poor Diana gets lonely sometimes when there are no other children here and she spends a lot of time at the Allen's house." Melinda said.

"Doesn't she go to school?" Nicole asked.

"When she first got here, it was too late to get her in anywhere so Joey and Kelly are tutoring her." Melinda said like it was normal and then laughed when Nicole looked at her like she had lost her marbles. She explained about Joey and Kelly and told her some of their story. She knew that Joey had very acute hearing so she said "I can explain more when the children are not around. Joey seems to have ears like a bat. He overhears everything." Melinda whispered.

"Okay. So what is this about church? Why do only the men go?" Nicole asked curiously.

"Church is just what they call their members only meetings. If they are meeting while Leon and Joe are here, it means they are discussing financial stuff that directly affects the club. They are in the process of getting ready to not only expand the club house but they are going to be building a rescue center, hopefully on the land across the road." Melinda said. She explained about how the club had ended Devlin's Disciples, at least the parts she knew, and of how the club had been helping out "the families".

"There were four families left and they went back to the homes that were on the land but none of them were comfortable there anymore. The children keep saying that they could hear things, like people talking to them and the parents have caught some of the children talking to someone and when they look, there is no one there. They think the land is haunted or jinxed or something. A couple of months ago, they had a bad scare from a rival biker gang that took over their homes and threatened to kill them all. That's why they think the land is jinxed. Nothing good has come out of living there for any of us.

Jess, one of the prospects here, had inherited the house and 5 acres of land at the beginning of this road when his father died. He sold them the property and they put up 4 more mobile homes on the land behind the main house. Eventually, once the center is built, they will build permanent homes farther up and closer to us. They are planning on building homes for people who will work at the center too. They will be staffing it for jobs on all kinds of levels. They really have big plans to help people in need." Melinda told her.

"Are you going to work there as a nurse?" Nicole asked.

"Oh goodness no. I'm not actually a trained nurse. I'm mostly self taught after being forced to take care of the injuries inflicted on my son's mostly but to the others as well. Jacob wouldn't allow us to go to the ER unless it was an "innocent injury" like one of the men getting hurt on the job or something that could easily be explained away. All of the women read up on medical procedures and we all learned to take care of each other." Melinda explained.

Just then Amy began to wake up from her nap and toddled over to Nicole and said she needed to potty. Nicole took her to the bathroom and just as they left the bathroom, Kelly woke up. She also had to use the restroom. She was getting better about not having accidents in her sleep anymore and only had to wear pull ups at night now.