20

Liliana's P.O.V:

On the plane, I sat away from Kaiden and attempted to ignore the way Kaiden was studying my movements. I knew I was being petty for ignoring him, but in all fairness, I did see him just try to possibly kill my older brother. Thinking about everything, I never knew Kaiden to be so jealous when he understood that I didn't like Liam in that sense. Hell, if anything, I absolutely despised Liam's romantic encounters because it was nauseating to see him being a antimonious prick to women.

"Lily," I heard Nathan say, and I looked at Nathan with a cold expression. I felt a curious feeling for no reason as Nathan asked me, "Have you ever been to Texas to before?"

"Once for a layover," I shrugged.

"Layover?" Kaiden asked, but I ignored him.

Nathan asked, "Did you go visit family before?"

I nodded to Nathan, and explained, "My dad and youngest brother lives in Arkansas with my stepmother and her kids."

"You come from a big family?" Nathan seemed like he was asking all the questions that Kaiden probably should've been asking me.

I nodded, feeling a concerned feeling twisting into a feeling of guilt as I explained, "I have three brothers, two stepbrothers, and one stepsister."

"So, you don't count Liam in the brothers' category?" Nathan asked, and I glared at him.

I rolled my eyes, and said, "Liam's my eldest brother's best friend. I'd never hear the end of it from my middle brother if those two tore each other apart while I was around to stop it. Liam is a brother to us all in a sense, but it's more so a bond that he has with Ian. My middle brother and I have to keep them from tearing it apart with their small brawls they get into."

"Why? It sounds like you need to let them fight," Kaiden injected, and I finally looked at Kaiden with a side eye glare.

"I protect my brothers from being broken, just like me," I gave Kaiden that glare, then rolled my eyes as I looked away from them. I looked out the window at the endless sea of clouds as I added, "There's no reason they should experience what the world is truly like."

"And how do you think the world is like?" Nathan asked, and I looked at him to see Kaiden staring at me with so much concern pouring out of his body language.

I let out a dry and dark laugh as I reminded him, "My ex is a psychotic one-thousand-year-old vampire who tormented me for a year that's now back and trying to kill me or take my ass away from everyone again."

"I won't let him hurt you," Kaiden said, and I looked at him with a blank stare.

I sighed, looking back out the window, and tried to fight back the urge to let a single tear slip out. I felt Kaiden's sincerity, but what happened in the hanger still haunted me a bit. It was like that night before I tried to end my life. It's said that eyes were the window to a person's soul, their true self. In that instance, I didn't see Kaiden's normal protective and concerned for my wellbeing demeanor that he normally had lately. All I saw was a fire off pure and intense rage and it scared me to the core. I had a gut feeling that he'd never do anything to intentionally hurt me. That was completely out of the worries I had of him.

This gut feeling was that if I were to ever die or succeed in committing suicide during one of my depressed episode, he'd burn the entire world down along with himself. With the way he had been getting jealous over my interactions with Liam, I wondered if it was really him or something else that was taking over him. And that was what scared me. I gave in to be with him, would it be with him or that side of him that scares me? I shuddered at the thought of it being the side that scared me. I jumped at the feeling of something being placed over me, looking up to see Kaiden standing in front of me.