42

(happy reading and thank you all for the reads! i'm beyond grateful and humbled by y'all! you're all amazing and i hope you're still enjoying the book!)

Liliana's P.O.V:

I felt my eyes opening to the sound of someone calling my name. The rain had stopped but I still shivered at the smallest gust of wind. I wasn't able to move a single muscle, but I wanted to as I looked up with hooded eyes.

"You're freezing," I looked at him, then felt him pick me up.

The sparks in my skin where his finger tips had touched let me know that it was him. Like I had wanted, he found me first but it was also something that I didn't want. He didn't need to see me like this. I felt his relief mixed with confusion and fear. It was hard to not get so intoxicated by his emotions. I held onto him, my arms around his neck and shoulders even though my left shoulder was silently beginning to beg for me to let him go. I used what little strength I had to move a bit to hold him tighter.

When he tried to set me down in a warm car, I didn't let go of him. Instead, I found myself pulling him to be on top of me in the backseat of the car. I finally opened my eyes fully, staring at Kaiden as he gave me a soft smirk. Kaiden used what felt like his full strength to pry my hands off, then he sat on the edge of the seat as I had slowly started to sit up.

I looked at him, shivering once more, and listened to him interrogating me, "Do you know understand that I was flipping my shit when I heard the two witches screaming that you just ran out the hotel and no one was able to go after you in the middle of a thunderstorm? Lily, do you not get that you're going through nightshade poisoning and it's playing tricks on your mind? You couldn't just wait for me, could you? I was only thirty minutes away from you, yet you had the idea to fight every person you ran across. You do realize that I was about to tear this whole city apart if I found you dead in a ditch somewhere, right?

"The time you spent hiding because you were probably going through a hallucination would've been spent helping you break through the fever and get you past the first wave of this fucking shit. I'm too patient with you, you know that right? Why do you keep running from me, from us, when you finally see a glimpse of what our future can be like? Why do you always do this? You have to believe me when I'm telling that I will protect you!" Kaiden completely blew up and I felt all his emotions of frustration and anger in the bond.

"I'm s-s-sorry," I shivered and my whisper was almost an inaudible one.

Kaiden shot me a side eye, continuing, "You really believe that an 'I'm sorry' is going to help you at this point? I love and trust you, Liliana, but it's clear that you don't trust me just the same! I'm a fucking grim reaper—one of the strongest things in the supernatural world. That one thousand year old leech cannot and will not kill me—"

"Yes, he can and he will when he finds out what I am!" I blurted out, cutting him off, and Kaiden's side eye turned into a glare.

Fuck.

"And what are you? What can you be that's so scary?" Kaiden demanded, his body tensing up.

I looked away from him, muttering, "I can't tell you."

"That is what I'm getting pissed about, Lily. You can keep secrets and I can't?" Kaiden growled.

"I never said you can't." I glared, turning my head to face him.

Kaiden shot me a full on death glare, "You did when you kicked me out the hospital in Cali! You refused to even look at me—"

"How would you feel if I just sprang on you that I'm a fucking descendant of Mictecacihuatl after you had attempted suicide!" I snapped, then my right hand slapped over my mouth.