45

Liliana's P.O.V:

I landed on top of Kaiden, taking him down to the ground. I expected to hit my left shoulder on the ground, but I didn't. I felt the grassy ground underneath my left side, slowly sitting up. Kaiden was helping me up, checking my left shoulder to see if I injured it any further. This was a dream though...right? What happened to me didn't affect me in the real world right? Or...did it?

Did Cameron fuck trap me in the goddamn matrix?!

I looked up when I heard Calvin roaring at Kaiden, "DON'T YOU LAY A FUCKING HAND ON MY BELOVED!! SHE BELONGS TO ME!"

Kaiden helped me stand up, Calvin getting ready to jump out the window, but a loud gunshot rang out. I jumped, even yelping at the sound, and covered my ears as the next few echoed. I looked at Kaiden, seeing him shooting Calvin with a pistol, then glanced back up. Calvin was being yanked back as he held onto the right side of his chest. I felt Kaiden grabbing my right wrist, nearly yanking me along, and I didn't bother to look back as he had me full on sprint to keep up with his long legs.

Kaiden pulled me into a small shack, closing the door after I was inside, and he tucked his gun behind his back. Kaiden found a few things to set in front of the shack door. I didn't know what good that was going to do when this building was old, wooden, and looked like it was going to collapse at the slightest kick from a five-year-old child. Kaiden backed up to me, turning around to face me, and he looked behind me. He walked around me, looking out a window, and motioned for me.

I walked to him involuntarily, glancing out the window, and he was staring up at the moon. When I looked up, internally I was groaning. That damned reddish orange moon was in the night sky again.

"Why do you dream of blood moons?" Kaiden asked, his voice husky to keep something from coming out of his mouth. When I looked at him, he was staring at me intensely, and asked again, "Why is there a fucking blood moon in the sky, Lily?"

I looked back out the window, seeing her staring up at the moon, and felt myself climbing out the window. I heard Kaiden hissing at me to get back there, but my feet carried me to her. Kaiden was following me, I could hear him fidgeting with his gun as I stopped myself about six feet away from her.

She said in English with her Mexican accent lacing into her words heavily, "The undead are gone, Lily. You can put your gun away, Mr. Alcantara."

"I could've used your help a bit earlier." I glared at her, watching her only gazing up at the moon.

She sighed, looking down, then she slowly turned to look at me. I felt Kaiden's confusion, shock, and his unease in the bond. I guessed she felt it too because she smirked at him, "You look like you're seeing a ghost. You should relax. He will be here soon."

"He? I thought you said—"

"She doesn't mean the leeches, darlin'." Kaiden stopped me, and I looked at him.

His emotions were all over the place, it was giving me whiplash. Looking back at Mictecacihuatl, she only nodded once to me, "Our soulmate is correct. Liliana, come here. Por favor."

I felt my feet carrying me to her, not letting Kaiden hold me back as I felt his shock when he looked behind him to see something or someone. She had me stand almost in front of her as Kaiden was standing in front of...himself? No, this was the side of Kaiden that I saw the time I was asleep on the plane to Texas. Mictecacihuatl only placed an icy hand on my left shoulder, whispering in my ear.

She whispered, "We're finally meeting. Kaiden is now seeing what we are."

"No, he won't be safe." I breathed out, feeling scared of him knowing.

She only scoffed out a single laugh, whispering darkly in Spanish, "Tuve la oportunidad de decirselo, mijita. Ahora, el te sabra y te ayudara."

Translation: You had your chance to tell him. Now, he will know and help you.

"Please. Calvin will—"

Kaiden only stared at me, his shock widening as were his eyes when she said, "I'm Mictecacihuatl. My people know me as the lady of the dead."

"The lady...are you the—"

"The old Aztec goddess who ruled over the underworld." Kaiden's grim reaper filled in the holes, and I wanted to run far away from here. The reaper only smiled at me, singing, "Look at her. She's trying to run from us knowing the truth. From knowing who she really is."

"You will wake up and run no longer. Haz estop or mi, y dare todo mi poder para matar al vampiro." She whispered in my ear one more time before everything turned black.