thirty five!

[texts, irl!]

—————

[texts!]

nic 🫶🏻 — nick
elle 🤞🏻 — elliot

nic 🫶🏻
hey just so u know chris is with us
read at 12:03 p.m.

elle 🤞🏻
WHAT???

nic 🫶🏻
yep
ur just as shocked as me and matt

elle 🤞🏻
i can't figure out if this is a good thing or not

nic 🫶🏻
yeah me too
idk i think he is genuinely worried abt her
he's been more of an asshole lately but still

elle 🤞🏻
yeah well i hope it's just to make up w her and to not start shit

nic 🫶🏻
yeah idk
we'll have to see
anyways, we're on the way to pick up ness

elle 🤞🏻
👍🏻

—————

[irl!]

WHEN THEY PULL UP TO nessa's house, she's standing out in her driveway and walks over to the passenger side, only to find chris there.

this confuses her, knowing that he and lily haven't been talking that much, before she shakes it off and goes to the backseat to sit by nick.

as matt drives off, nessa puts on her seat belt. "so, do you guys know anything?"

matt shakes his head with a sigh, while chris stays completely quiet, which is completely unlike him.

"i just talked to elle. the way she went into detail makes it seem like lily's really going through it. she doesn't know what else to do." matt answers her question and nessa sighs and nods.

"yeah, well, maybe chris going with too will help things," she pauses and gives chris a pointed look. "unless, he's just planning on sulking in the car while we go inside." it's clear in nessa's voice how protective over lily she is, it's almost as if she knows something that both lily and chris aren't even aware of yet.

chris stays quiet, though the look on his face shows that he's both irritated and bothered by her words.

it's quiet for the rest of the drive, until matt's finally pulling up to the house and parks in the driveway.

as he shuts off the lights and the car, he turns to face his friends. "okay, ready?" he asks as he takes the keys out of the ignition and shoves them in his pocket, his voice filled with anxiety and worry.

nick rolls his eyes and gets out, nessa following. they both walk up to the front door and don't even bother knocking, seeing as they've been there way too many times before.

while they go inside, matt turns to face his brother. "you know, i don't know what's going on between you two, but lily needs you. she needs all of us, but she needs you more than any of us."

chris scoffs at his words and shakes his head. "if she needs me so badly, then why did she lie?"

matt rolls his eyes at his brother's harsh comment. "you're an idiot, you know that right?"

chris turns to face his brother with a glare and an offended look. "what the hell does that mean?"

matt rolls his eyes again and lightly slaps him upside the head.

"ow! what was that for?" chris question defensively as he rubs at the spot that his brother hit him on his head.

"you know what! i get that you're hurt that you're the last one to know about all of this," matt starts and chris opens his mouth, all ready to make another rude comment, but he talks more before he can interrupt him, "it was easy for her to tell everyone else because we all mean differently to her than you do."

"what?" chris asks in clear confusion. "what the fuck does that mean?"

matt sighs and rolls his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration, not understanding how stupid and blind his brother is. "oh my god, you're so dumb," he mumbles and continues in an irritated tone of voice, "she told us because she knew that it was easier to tell her family than to tell you. you're closer to her than any of us. she may not wanna admit it, but she cares about you a lot. and she cares about your opinion."

matt gets out of the car and shuts the door, before walking into the house, letting his words truly sink in for chris.

—————