A Twist In The Tail 5/5

A/N: Stay till the author's note at the end of the chapter for some surprises!! (Even though you might have already seen some of them by the time you read this chapter.)

By the way yeah, I know this chapter is chaotic and weird as fuck, I really tried my best with writing it but sorry for being a mess... just the usual.

.

'I quit.'

Dr Bae looked up at Dr Kim in the faint light of the street lamps and the full moon and shrugged.

'It's your choice. But then I'm definitely not sharing with you' she reminded.

'I don't care' said Dr Kim strictly.

'Minhyuk, you saw the boys with your own eyes! They have incredible powers! Do you know how wonderful discovery this is?! We just have to catch them somehow and-'

'I don't care, Irene! Because I discovered something else. I was a horrible father. My son is against me and he has every right to be because I turned on him and his friends... I'd rather make things right and let go of this profit than to continue on with your crazy plans. Maybe it's not too late' said Dr Kim.

'Dr Bae!' exclaimed Yeri from behind the computer. 'There are three dots on the screen of the radar! They are going towards Mako Island!' she said. Dr Bae looked at Dr Kim one last time, then without taking her eyes off him she called for her men.

'Get him off the boat and let's go!' she instructed.

.

Seokmin, Seungkwan and Soonyoung were sitting on the ground of the cave on Mako, occasionally looking towards the sky, waiting for the moon to reach above them.

A few of the scientist crew's equipment were still there, but it looked like they had all left.

'Do you think they gave up?' asked Seungkwan, his voice echoing in the cave slightly.

'Definitely not' sighed Seokmin and leaned against the wall of the cave, pulling his knees to his chest and looking up at the sky again. 'Ms Chatham was right. The only way for them to stop chasing us is if we don't have powers anymore. And Dr Bae is not stupid. She knows that merman hunting without proof is definitely not in her profile as a marine biologist. Then they can do whatever they want, they can show around their test results to anyone, but they won't have any mermaids to show up and the experiment will fail. They will only think that they are stupid. Just like how everyone did with Mingyu.'

Hoshi sighed hearing his boyfriend's name as he stared at the water. 'I'm breaking up with him tomorrow' he said quietly. The other two looked at him in concern. Hoshi just shook his head bitterly. 'I can't do this anymore. I did trust him that he will stop hunting for the merman. And because of him we ended up here. Even though he helped us escape... I can't trust him anymore. I wasn't supposed to trust him at all' he said.

Seokmin and Seungkwan felt a pang in their chests but they knew Hoshi made the right decision. They still felt sorry for their friend. Yeah, they hated Mingyu and definitely didn't trust him with Hoshi, and they should've been happy hearing that Hoshi is about to end things with him... but when Hoshi was with Mingyu, for some reason he looked so much more carefree and happier.

But speaking of trust, they also knew how difficult it is to earn Hoshi's trust. And since he decided to trust someone who betrayed him, it will be even harder for him not to feel vulnerable after this.

They all turned back towards the water.

'What will you guys miss the most?' asked Seungkwan.

'Oh come on, this sounds like a funeral' sniffled Hoshi making them chuckle. It reminded them of how many times he said that having this merman secret is like a marriage.