VI. The Silent Wounds

The explosion at the CDC marked the end of a chapter in their journey for survival

The explosion at the CDC marked the end of a chapter in their journey for survival. With the facility destroyed and their search for answers making them lose hope for normalcy, the group was once again thrust into the unknown of their long and arduous quest to stay alive in the new world.

Their path was uncertain, and the challenges which lays ahead are numerous, but the group is determined to navigate the dangers, protect one another, and continue their relentless pursuit for safety.

Daryl and Madeleine continue to ride together in silence, her arms wrapped around his waist as the wind attacks them with the velocity he's impending on the bike. They ride in front of the other vehicles, guiding the way toward the unknown, Fort Benning no longer being an option for them either at Madeleine's revelation.

The rest of the Grimes' ride in the car behind the bike with Carol and her daughter, the road stretching out with the challenges to find a new safe place for the group.

Lori smiles, turning away from looking out of the window. "I was just thinking about our trip to the Grand Canyon with Carl and Mads."

Rick's laught carries a bittersweet tone, reflecting on times when life was simpler and filled with happiness. He wished those moments could be relived, especially knowing that it was during those times when Madeleine had been her happiest.

For a brief period in her life, Madeleine had experienced a sense of normalcy, leaving behind the darkness of her past. It was a time when she had forgotten the hardships that had shaped her into the person she was, somehow Rick wonders how she went back to the way she was, yet, she's still different from her younger self.

Rick's memories stirs emotions of nostalgia and longing, reminding him of the simpler, happier days they had once known, after he had Madeleine back in his life. The desire to protect and preserve those memories was palpable in his laughter, catching Carl's attention from the backseat.

Carl frowns, looking in between his parents. "I don't remember that."

Lori slightly glances over her shoulder at her son, a joyful grin plastered on her face. "No, you wouldn't. You were just a baby. And besides, we never made it past Fort Worth."

"No, you got sick. I never knew a baby could throw up so much." Rick states, sharing a moment of laughter with his wife.

Carl scrunches his face in disgust, "Ick."

"Yeah, ick. The doctor in Texas said you'd live. You should've seen your sisters' face, I think that was the only time she didn't want to be around you. But she was a good nurse when we turned and drove back home." Lori tells him, the boy seeming disappointed they never tried to go on another family trip.

"That sucks."

Lori shakes her head, "No, it was a good trip."

"The best." Rick affirms.