XVI. The Same Old Things

Time is a rare thing

The group's resilience in the face of unavoidable hardships is commendable, as they continue to adapt to their newest reality. After nearly nine months of seeking for refugee, they ended up going in endless circles in search for anything.

Time is a privilege now.

The silent coordination within the group continues to be an unspoken understanding they have developed, allowing them to efficiently scavenge for supplies and secure the house after house against any potential threats.

Time is a ticking clock, marking each death.

The group bursts through the abandoned house, Daryl and T-Dog easily take down the growling walkers as Madeleine grabs the sword from her back and slays the walker roaming the outside of the house. She creeps around the house, her footsteps light as she checks the perimeter, the unspoken role given to her for the past few months. The sound of a growl causes for her to spin around and drive her sword through the walker's head.

When she retracts the sword, she wipes the blood of the sword on her arm, her eyes snapping around in caution to spot any foreign activity surrounding the house. When she deems the perimeter to be safe, she places the sword on her back and heads inside the house after all of the group have made their way in, gathering in the kitchen after they ensured the house was safe.

The stark reminder of their situation dawns over the air when it is clear they haven't found much food yet again. The group sits together, sharing what little they have, and Madeleine notices Daryl's resourcefulness in catching an owl for food.

The group's dynamics are undoubtedly strained in the face of the constant new challenges, especially with Lori's pregnancy and the scarcity of resources. The ever-present danger from walkers and the struggle for survival have taken a toll on everyone after the farm burned down. Lori's pregnancy adds an extra layer of complexity to their situation, highlighting the difficulties of bringing new life into such a world.

The older Grimes women keeps a hand on her bump as she eats a can of beans, whilst Rick keeps an eye out for any imposing danger. Madeleine hands over her uneaten can of tuna to Lori, the women insatiably grabbing it without noticing the younger women hasn't eaten anything in days to be able to give Lori any extra food for her baby. Finding a safe and stable place to settle down and ensure her safety during labor is becoming increasingly crucial, the feeling of having to witness her sibling be born on the road brings a unfamiliar sense of guilt over her.

Their reality knocks on their door when Carl takes a seats next to his sister, holding two cans of dog food eager to eat anything he can get his hands on. He struggles to open the can, looking up at his older sister to aid his famished self. Madeleine, although caring deeply for her brother, still finds it painful to watch as he struggles in the new world.