XXVI. The Hollowed Memories

The brief trip to Atlanta concluded swiftly, and within days, they returned with all the essential equipment they needed

The brief trip to Atlanta concluded swiftly, and within days, they returned with all the essential equipment they needed. During their visit, they unexpectedly crossed paths with Morgan, whom Rick had previously mentioned. However, despite the earlier warning, there was no trouble encountered with Morgan.

Yet, the ebb and flow of arrivals and departures continued to punctuate the group's uneasy routine. Andrea's unexpected appearance heralded an unsettling revelation: the governor's desire for a face-to-face discussion.

Morning dawned with a sense of foreboding. Rick, Daryl, and Hershel embarked on the dangerous rendezvous, leaving the remainder of the group to feverishly prepare for the looming confrontation. Madeleine, perceptive and insightful, understood the veiled intentions behind the meeting. She saw through the facade, recognizing it as a mere delay tactic, affording both parties crucial moments to fortify themselves for the impending clash.

The group busies themselves preparing the arsenal, ensuring the guns are in prime condition. Madeleine takes charge of the meticulous task of cleaning each firearm. Her deft hands expertly maneuver through the mechanisms, meticulously checking for any sign of stuck casting or malfunction. This sight surprises a few among the group. It's uncommon for a woman to take such command with firearms, let alone exhibit the expertise she demonstrates in handling them.

A sense of admiration mixes with the astonishment as Madeleine showcases a level of proficiency that catches many off guard. Her focused demeanor and skillful handling of the weapons leave an indelible impression on those witnessing her meticulous preparation. Despite the rarity of women engaging in such tasks, Madeleine handles the guns with an ease and confidence that speaks volumes about her capabilities in this crucial aspect of their preparations.

Glenn's curiosity leads him to voice his thoughts to Madeleine as she diligently works on the firearms. "Watching you do that, like it's muscle memory, got me wondering who you were before the world fell," he confesses, hoping for a glimpse into her past. However, Madeleine maintains her silence, prompting a small smile from Glenn. "I thought you were a doctor or nurse when we first met and you stitched me up. Now, I don't know. Maybe, you were following Rick's footsteps."

Pausing her actions, Madeleine looks up at Glenn with a deadpan expression. "Actually, I was a trained assassin. It was a very well-paid job."

"Wait, for real?" Glenn's eyes widen in disbelief.

"No!" Madeleine chuckles, dismissing the playful notion.

"Carl, come here," Glenn calls out, redirecting his attention to the logistics of their preparations, assigning tasks to others. "You stash these at the loading dock. All right?"

"Beth, put more up on the catwalk. If anyone gets pinned down, we need to make sure that they have plenty of ammo," Madeleine commands, her tone decisive as she cocks the gun. She notices Merle entering, his expression seemingly scornful at what he perceives as their passivity in the face of danger. His disapproving gaze only fuels her determination to ensure their defenses are ready for any potential threat.

𝐄𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬, 𝐁𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 | TWD [Book 1]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara