XLI. The Ghost of a Present Past

The stillness of the air amplifies their anticipation, a sense of both readiness and wariness pervading their demeanor

The stillness of the air amplifies their anticipation, a sense of both readiness and wariness pervading their demeanor. The trio stand vigilantly outside the abandoned store, their posture poised, and their expressions cautious just outside the store, a crucial phase before their scavenging mission commences. Marie takes charge of scanning the surroundings, her eyes trained for any signs of unusual activity or imminent threats.

Amidst the silence, Marie's gaze constantly flits between the surroundings and the entrance to the store, her focus unwavering. She subtly signals to Tara and Maggie, indicating with a subtle nod towards the store that they should remain on alert, ready for any signal from Glenn.

Inside the store, Glenn moves with cautious steps, his every move calculated, surveying the interior for any lurking dangers. He ensures the aisles are clear, methodically checking the corners and shelves, poised for any unexpected encounter.

Back outside, Marie maintains a firm grip on her weapon, her eyes darting around the area, attuned to the slightest sound or movement. Tara stands a few paces away, her posture poised, ready to react instantly, while Maggie keeps a watchful eye on the street, her senses keenly attuned to any potential threats that might approach from a distance.

Minutes pass like hours as the tension mounts. Marie adjusts her stance, her grip tightening involuntarily on her weapon. She exhales a silent breath, an indication of the increasing anticipation as they await Glenn's signal. Each passing second feels like an eternity, the ambient noises of the surroundings heightening their senses.

Suddenly, a faint movement catches Marie's eye, causing her heart to skip a beat. She tightens her grip, ready to take action, but upon closer inspection, it's just a stray animal scurrying across the street. She eases her stance, exhaling a relieved breath, returning her focus to the store, hoping for a sign from Glenn.

Tara's arms remain folded, her expression pensive as she gazes at the rundown exterior of the supposed gun store. "I didn't want to mention anything when we looked this place up in the phone book, but I can't imagine a gun store having leftovers nowadays."

Marie's fingers instinctively tighten around the rifle she's holding, her eyes scanning their surroundings. "Yeah, but we might as well try. We never know what we might find."

Tara's frown deepens, her tone filled with curiosity. "How do you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Be that positive when we're in the middle of all of this." Tara gestures around them, encompassing the bleakness of their reality.

Marie offers a slight shrug, a glint of determination in her eyes. "The world is ugly enough as it is, it doesn't need us to make it worse."

Maggie interjects playfully, breaking the moment with a light-hearted tease. "Are you sure you're related to Mads?" A small ripple of laughter emerges among the three, a brief reprieve from the somberness of their situation. "Yeah, I'm glad you found her, you'll be a good influence."