XIII. The Domino Effect

Sometimes, silence speaks louder than words ever could

It's in those quiet moments, the spaces between conversations, that we find the most profound connections. It's not about being alone; it's about the solace of shared solitude. Silence is not loneliness; it's a sanctuary for our thoughts, a canvas for our emotions, and a bridge between souls.

So, don't fear the silence, for it's where we often find the most profound moments of understanding.

The two women sit in silence in the kitchen, neither of them daring to break it. Shane and Rick had left that morning to drive Randall away from the farm, ensuring he wouldn't be able to find them.

Maggie sighs, catching Madeleine's attention as the women sitting on the counter was eating an apple, simply watching Maggie make the food. "Rick say anything to you about Glenn when they got back from town?"

Madeleine shakes her head, "No, but Glenn did." She states, causing for Maggie to look down. "He said he froze."

"Yeah, says he froze. Blames me. Says I got inside his head." Maggie speaks with an unknown expression, longing for Glenn's heart more each day.

Madeleine rolls her eyes, hoping off the counter as she throws the apple in the trash can. "He cares about you, Maggie. But men... they're either gonna blame the little woman as the reason they do things or the reason they don't."

"Things were good. Maybe I-."

"Glenn's a big boy. He makes his own choices, and then you..." she points a finger at her, raising an eyebrow at her with a hand on her hip. "do you have anything to apologise for?" Maggie shakes her head at the rhetorical question. "Tell him to not be such a pussy and put his big boy pants back on."

"You're right." Maggie nods, a small smile cracking in the corner of her lips when she finishes plating the food for her sister. "Maybe, I just won't say it like that. It never goes well."

"Listen, you two care about each other. Fight for it or let it go. Y'all have to make a choice." Madeleine runs a hand through her hair, tilting her head to the side. "Nowadays, caring for someone is both a gift and a curse. You understand that, right?"

Maggie nods before heading to Beth's room with the plate of food, knocking gently on the door before entering. Beth looks up, her eyes red from crying. Maggie offers her a small smile and places the plate of food on the bedside table. She knows her sister needs time to heal, and she's there to support her through it.

The tension in the kitchen is noticeable when Lori walks in, both their eyes lock. It's a silent standoff, with unspoken words and emotions between them. Each of them is carrying their own burdens, and the weight of their shared secrets and past grievances hangs heavy in the air.

"Hershel said you didn't have any long term injuries from the accident. How's you feeling?" She asks, the women grabbing a plate of food for herself. "The baby?" Madeleine clarifies.