LXXIII. The Promise of Tomorrow

The convoy of joined communities barrels toward one of the Savior outposts, engines roaring as they approach their target

The convoy of joined communities barrels toward one of the Savior outposts, engines roaring as they approach their target. Madeleine wastes no time, unleashing a hail of bullets before the vehicles even come to a full stop. Her car continues its relentless advance toward another entrance, while Alita's piercing whistle signals the Reapers to action.

As Madeleine bursts out of the car, gunfire erupts from all sides, the air thick with the acrid scent of smoke and blood. She takes aim with deadly precision, returning fire at the Saviors who dare to oppose them.

"Spread out!" she commands, her voice cutting through the chaos as her people fan out, securing every exit and entrance of the compound.

Meanwhile, the rest of the group maneuvers through the back, Keisha and Adanna leading the way. With guns blazing, they clear the front door, dispatching the armed guards with ruthless efficiency. Madeleine strides confidently into the building, flanked by Alita, Adanna, and Keisha, with Rick and Daryl providing cover at their backs. They move through the corridors with practiced precision, every step a calculated advance toward victory.

"You signal if they're already inside. We'll be there." Rick commands, his voice low but authoritative as he addresses Keisha and Adanna.

Both women nod in response as Madeleine and Alita step forward, exchanging a silent glance before moving in tandem, their movements calculated and purposeful. Keisha and Adanna break away from the group, their eyes scanning the surroundings for any sign of danger. Alita falls into step behind Madeleine, her posture tense with anticipation as they move deeper into the building, while Rick and Daryl share a nod of agreement before they too set off on their assigned task.

Entering a room, Alita gestures to the emptiness within. "Rooms been all clear, Death," she reports, her voice low but clear. They check every corner, every nook and cranny, but the sought-after guns remain elusive. Madeleine's jaw tightens in frustration as they open a broom closet, finding nothing but cleaning supplies. "Ain't on this floor," Alita concludes grimly, her eyes scanning the barren space.

"Only option is up," Madeleine decides, her voice firm and unwavering as she leads the way out of the room.

Rick and Daryl meet them in the hallway, their expressions mirroring their disappointment. Keisha and Adanna return, their faces drawn with tension as they too come up empty-handed.

"Nothing's here," Adanna reports.

"We go up. High ground," Madeleine proposes, her eyes scanning the surroundings for any sign of danger as the others nod in agreement.

Daryl grunts in approval. "Good cover."

"Yeah, I'd put them up there, too," Rick concurs, his gaze flicking towards the looming structure ahead. "What do you say?"

Alita sighs, her hand gesturing towards the door at the far end of the corridor. "Stairs."

With Alita leading the way, the group proceeds cautiously, their senses on high alert for any sign of trouble. As they reach the closed door to the stairs, Daryl takes matters into his own hands, delivering a swift kick that sends the door flying open. Madeleine shares a silent exchange with her husband, a nod of understanding passing between them, before they ascend the staircase with purpose.