LXXI. The Death's Reapers

Each passing moment stretches into an eternity, each mile traveled serving as a relentless reminder of the aftermath of Neville's brutal demise casting a long shadow over their journey

In the cramped confines of the vehicle, the Grimes woman lounges with an air of casual indifference. With clenched fists gripping the steering wheel, Alita struggles to contain the seething rage bubbling beneath the surface, the muscles in her jaw working overtime to suppress the torrent of emotions threatening to consume her.

Madeleine's eyes roll at Alita's visible agitation, her gaze drifting lazily out the window as the landscape rushes by. "You're gonna look like someone pissed in your cereal all day?"

Alita's grip on the steering wheel tightens even further, her knuckles turning bone-white with the effort to maintain control. "Depends," she growls, her voice strained with barely contained fury. "How far away are we from the Hilltop?"

A smirk tugs at the corners of Madeleine's lips, her boredom evident as she feigns disinterest. "How unlucky for you," she retorts, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "We're still a day away."

Alita's temper finally erupts like a volcano. With a sudden screech of brakes, the vehicle jolts to a halt, the abrupt motion throwing both women forward in their seats. "You just killed my people!" Alita's voice reverberates with raw emotion, her eyes blazing with righteous anger as she turns to face Madeleine. "How can you sit there so calmly and tell me to get over it?!"

Madeleine's remains looking outside, Alita's words not affecting her as she replies, "I just don't care. You should try it someday."

Alita's anger reaches a boiling point, and she abruptly exits the car in a fit of fury, needing to distance herself from Madeleine before she does something she'll regret. Madeleine turns her head, watching Alita intently as the woman keeps her eyes strained on the walkers tied up to the trees.

Madeleine let's out a sigh and steps out of the car, leaning casually against the hood. Her eyes flicker with amusement as the walkers tied up to nearby trees reach out to try and grab her. Madeleine grabs the knife from her waist and swings it back and forward before throwing it at the walker, the knife landing on its forehead. She watches with a satisfied smile as it flops down against the rope.

"You're unbelievable!" Alita furiously strolls over to the woman, her frustration evident in every word. "How heartless are you?"

"Rip me open and you'll find out," Madeleine replies coolly, unfazed by Alita's outburst as they glare at each other.

Alita's fists clench at her sides, a tumult of emotions swirling within her as she struggles to maintain her composure. She turns away from Madeleine, her back tense with suppressed rage, each breath a struggle to quell the storm raging within her.