XXXIX. The Long-Awaited Return

The desolated tracks sprawl out before them, a haunting reminder of the world that once thrived

The desolated tracks sprawl out before them, a haunting reminder of the world that once thrived. The sunlight filters through the overgrown trees, casting eerie shadows on the cracked and deserted path. Despite the quietude, an imminent sense of dread looms over.

Their hushed steps echo, disrupting the unnerving silence that envelops them. A putrid stench hangs heavy in the air—a telltale sign that walkers are near. With a swift and practiced motion, Madeleine draws her sword, its metallic glint a stark contrast against the desolate landscape.

A rustling in the underbrush alerts them. A walker emerges, its grotesque figure stumbling toward them, driven by an insatiable hunger. Madeleine, poised and resolute, swiftly maneuvers, her sword slicing through the air with lethal precision. The walker falls, a lifeless heap at her feet.

Carol, tense but steady at the scene that happened as she blinked an eye, watches on—a silent acknowledgment of proudness and impressiveness reality. They exchange no words, their shared understanding conveyed through furtive glances and synchronized movements.

As they press on, navigating through the desolation, their journey toward Terminus remains uncertain on what they might find. Each step forward is met with caution, for the world they once knew has been consumed by chaos, and survival demands unyielding vigilance.

Carol's gaze fixates on the sword strapped to Madeleine's back, a hint of admiration flickering across her features. "You're good with that," she comments, a tinge of surprise lacing her words. "Glad he found it for you that time," she adds, referencing the day Daryl came back from a run, presenting the weapon that had become an indispensable part of Madeleine's survival.

With a restrained response, Madeleine nods slightly, a stoic facade masking the memories and emotions tied to Daryl. She steels herself, deflecting any thoughts or discussions about him.

"I'm gonna get you there. We'll carry on with the plan. Make sure you're safe. But I'm not gonna stay," Carol declares, her eyes avoiding direct contact with Madeleine.

"'Cause of Tyreese?" Madeleine probes, her voice tinged with a hint of skepticism, observing as Carol averts her gaze to the ground. "Really? My dad only sent you away to protect you, and you agreed. What? You're going to run and hide forever?"

A nonchalant shrug is Carol's only response. "For now, yeah. I just can't."

The brusqueness in Madeleine's tone cuts through the air. "You're going to have to be able to."

A walker emerges abruptly, its menacing presence disrupting the fragile calmness. Reacting swiftly, Madeleine dispatches it with a swift strike of her sword, her movements calculated and efficient. She wipes the blood off the blade on her sleeve, her senses heightened as she scans the vicinity.

Grabbing Carol's arm, Madeleine urgently pulls her behind a nearby tree, their bodies pressed close as they crouch down, seeking refuge from the impending danger.