XXVIII. The Fury within the Steel

Dearest Madeleine,

Dearest Madeleine,

I hope when you read this letter you are safe and happy with your father and his family. I'm sorry I couldn't reach you sooner, I wanted to straighten out my life first before I tried to repair what I broke in you. I'm writing in hope I can see you again. I miss you, Sweet Pea. I know I did a lot of wrong that hurt you and torn you away from me, but I'm going to fix it. I know you are safe with Rick, his wife and your brother and you're happier than ever, but I'm still hoping you give me a chance to redeem myself. I was not the best mother but I did my best with what I had. I know you think I am dead, please, my love, do not hate your father for lying to you. I asked him to. I thought it was for the best because I didn't know how long it was going to take for me to get out of prison, I didn't want you to see me that way.

I wanted the memory of me as a mother who tried her best to protect you to remain intact... and I know Rick only agreed because he was angry, I know if he wasn't he would've never agree to tell such a lie. Do not be mad at him or Lori when you find out I'm still here. All we ever wanted was to protect you, Lily. Always. I hope you reach out to me, I'd love to see how strong of a women you have become. I have reconnected with your sister, we all live at my grandmother's place. Unfortunately, she's no longer with us. I would love for you to meet her as well. She keeps talking about her big sister. Although, I'd understand if you don't write back. It's okay, Madeleine.

I love you and I know you love me, but I'll understand. No matter where you are... I'll always be there with you.

With all my love,
Your mother.

Madeleine's eyes flit from the letter, landing on Daryl seated on the edge of the bed, their gazes colliding in an unspoken understanding. Perched on the floor, she gently places the letter aside, fingers tracing the edges of the faded photograph cradled in her palm. The image captures a moment frozen in time, the smiles on their faces betraying a connection lost to the relentless passage of years.

As her focus intensifies on the photo, a wave of sorrow washes over her. It's disheartening that the details within that cherished image elude her grasp. The bond she once shared with her mother now feels distant and ephemeral, drowned in the turbulent sea of a painful history. The passage of time has proven cruel, its relentless march fading the beautiful memories while amplifying the haunting echoes of abuse and the piercing sound of screams that still reverberate within her soul.

 The passage of time has proven cruel, its relentless march fading the beautiful memories while amplifying the haunting echoes of abuse and the piercing sound of screams that still reverberate within her soul