XXXII. The Quiet Calm Before the Storm

The air hangs heavy with an eerie tranquility, a deceptive calmness that masks the brewing turmoil lurking on the horizon

Nature seems to hold its breath, the rustling leaves pausing in anticipation, while the clouds gather in ominous clusters, painting the sky in shades of brooding gray. Within this pregnant silence, there lingers an unsettling sense of foreboding, as if the world itself awaits the unleashing of a turbulent force about to disrupt the very fabric of existence.

In this fleeting moment of quietude, one can almost hear the whispers of the impending storm, a whisper that promises chaos and change on the wind.

Rick walks through the empty corridors of the cell block, toward the door which holds the young vulnerable children. He holds the supplies on his hands as he calls out for Carl, keeping his eyes wary of anything.

"Carl?" Rick begins, his voice carrying a mix of concern and fatherly care. "Carl!"

"You okay?" Carl responds, opening the door, his tone reflecting a sense of assurance despite the turbulent circumstances.

"I was about to ask you that," Rick admits, his fatherly worries palpable in the uncertain environment rife with the rapid spread of disease.

"We're fine," Carl reassures, his voice steady, attempting to allay his father's concerns.

"No one's sick? You didn't have to do anything?" Rick confirms.

"Haven't had to use my gun, dad." Carl deadpans.

Rick's attention shifts to Judith, his worry for his youngest child who can't even protect herself growing with the days. "And Judith?"

"She's with Beth. Mads asked Beth to take care of her while she was gone," Carl informs his father, his eerie worry for his sister present. "Why isn't she back yet?"

"She'll be back soon." Rick assures, dropping the bags of supplies on the ground. "Found some food on the run. There's a bunch of fruit leather in there. Have everybody brush their teeth after," Rick instructs, ensuring their hygiene amidst the rampant diseases.

"Can we come out soon?" Carl asks, expressing a desire for a return to normalcy as Rick attempts to walk away.

"Not just yet," Rick responds with a sigh, his tone conveying a need for caution and patience.

"Dad, I was around you when you were in the middle of it. And I was around Patrick. I didn't get it. I can help you," Carl offers, his determination to support his father evident in his words.

"Thanks, but I need you to stay here," Rick asserts, wanting to shield Carl from any more potential danger.

"I will. But, Dad, you can't keep me from it," Carl insists, expressing his readiness to face the challenges that come their way.

"From what?" Rick furrows his eyebrows, seeking clarification from his son.

"From what always happens," Carl responds, acknowledging the unpredictability and dangers they face in their world.