XVIII. The Ties that Bind

Daryl approaches the group of prisoners with a cautious demeanor, his crossbow aimed at them

Daryl approaches the group of prisoners with a cautious demeanor, his crossbow aimed at them. The tension in the air is palpable as the fate of these newcomers hangs in the balance. The dim light casts shadows on the gritty expressions of both Daryl and the prisoners, setting the stage for a potentially critical encounter in their already perilous journey.

"Who the hell are you?"

"Who the hell are you?" One of the prisoners shoots back.

Madeleine advances with a determined stride, her grip firm on the sword, her eyes assessing the group of prisoners with a mix of caution and readiness. The atmosphere is charged with uncertainty as the two parties stand on the brink of a pivotal moment, each sizing up the other.

"He's bleeding out, we gotta go back!" Rick exclaims to Maggie, knowing Daryl and Madeleine will handle the prisoners. "Come around here. Put pressure on the knee! Hard! Push, push!"

Daryl keeps his eyes strained on the prisoners, "Come on out of here. Slow and steady."

Madeleine holds her sword aimed at them, standing beside Daryl as she swings her sword in her hand. "Drop your weapons."

The tension hangs thick in the air as Madeleine commands the prisoners to drop their weapons, her poised stance and the glint of her sword underscoring the seriousness of the situation. The prisoners, faced with the determined duo of Madeleine and Daryl, assess their options in the uncertain silence that follows.

The prisoners come out, a guy with a ponytail glances back at the rest before his eyes land on her. "I don't think we will, princesa."

The women's gaze narrows at the defiant words of the man with a ponytail. Her grip on the sword tightens, and she exchanges a quick glance with Daryl, silently acknowledging the escalating challenge before them.

The intensity in Madeleine's eyes matches her Spanish retort, "Suelta eso antes de que te suelte a ti," She delivers with a steely determination. "If I have to repeat myself again, in any language, I'll let the sword do the talking." The women snarks with a glare, sending shivers down their spine.

The prisoners face a resolute duo, unyielding in their demand for compliance, but the prisoners standing behind the ponytail man drop their weapons.

Big Tiny, one of the prisoners, points over at Hershel with his hands up in defence. "What happened to him?"

Daryl glares, "He got bit."

"Bit?" Thomas clarifies.

Thomas, the prisoner with the ponytail, takes the gun from his waist, and T-Dog joins the duo pointing a gun at them. The power dynamics intensify as weapons are drawn on both sides, creating a delicate balance on the brink of potential conflict.

Tension rises as the prisoners and the group engage in a silent standoff, each move calculated and loaded with an unspoken threat. Daryl subtly positions himself in front of Madeleine, a protective instinct that does go unnoticed by those keenly observing the unfolding confrontation.