Chapter 9: Old World Remnant

Leaning on the railing of her hotel suite, Lina Zero surveyed the scene going on below. In the streets of Los Angeles, the only major American city still standing, the yearly festival dedicated to the commemoration of those who lost their lives during World War Three. And in true American fashion this festival was going the above and beyond in its grandeur.

Fireworks exploded all around lighting up the sky, right alongside the setting sun. Floating above the streets was a large float with a famous singer performing popular songs atop it. Flying beside the float were drones that were programed to perform a light show in sync, creating the illusion of a dragon flying alongside the float.

"It's beautiful." Lina said, entranced by the festival. But this state of mind only lasted for a few moments as somebody caught her eye.

Floating down from a massive skyscraper that the festival revolved around, was an exosuit user by the name of Maximilian Tombstone. Or as he was better known as, Paragon, the last American Hero. He, as the only remaining American Exosuit User, has dedicated his life to protecting his great nation.

Paragon stopped in the air halfway down the skyscraper and simply observed the festival. From below, people cheered at his presence and chanted his name. His exosuit began to recede from around his face, revealing the young man with scruffy orange hair underneath. With a smile on his face, he waved down at his people.

Walking through the air above the float, Paragon's red exosuit sparkled from all the lights. White energy flowed through his exosuit in the same way his nanotechnological blue cape flowed with the breeze from all the drones racing around him. His glowing blue eyes now examining the area looking for any irregularities or signs of residual energy.

"He's kinda cute." Lina said aloud while examining his face. Even with the scar running down Paragon's face, she the younger guy quite cute. The scar he received during World War Three originated at his right cheek and traveled up his face, over his right eye, to his forehead. A scar that brought up unpleasant memories every time Max saw it.

Hearing Lina compliment and feeling her gaze on him, Paragon turned to look her way. Seeing this, Lina panicked and retreated back into her suite. "Oh My God." She squealed under her bed sheets. "So handsome and cute." She thought while remembering his eyes looking down at her.

"Thats Maxamilian for you." A voice said to Lina. "Americas greatest hero and only reason the country is still standing today."

"Is he somebody the late Allistair used to know?" Lina asked the voice.

"He is most definitely." Allistair answered. "Shit, look at how grown up the damn kid is now. Well, now that he finally decided to step out of Andromedas shadow."

"What, was he like her disciple or something?" Lina asked

"For the most part." Allistair answered. "When he was still a kid, he would follow her around like a puppy. It would have been almost cute at times if it wasn't for how much of a little psychopath he used to be. But you know, that's what happens when you grow up in a lab, with scientists constantly prodding and conducting experiments on you."

"So even the great Paragon has his demons, huh." Lina sighed as she emerged from under the covers.

"Everybody has their demons, Lina." Allistair responded.

Pushing herself off the bed, Lina walked back over to the balcony. She then went straight back to looking for Paragon but could not find him. Examining the area, she found no trace of him. This made her slightly disappointed as she turned to walk back into her room. That is when she stopped dead in her tracks.

Lina looked to the left only to see Paragon standing on the railing and leaning against the outside wall of her suite. The two met eyes and simply stared at each other for a moment. The small moment they shared together was then interrupted by Lina stumbling back and babbling on about why he was standing before her.