Chapter 24: A Monster in Wolves Clothing

"They're not attacking." Shen stated while examining the group of infected that surrounded him.

"They are not." Malachi said.

"So, then what do we do?" Nero turned to count all the red pairs of eyes that were watching them.

"You will do nothing as there is nothing you can do." A voice echoed from all around the group.

"Ain't that creepy." Hook chuckled nervously as a pair of red eyes stared down at them from a nearby tree branch.

Malachi's head suddenly turned, and his eyes darted to the pair of red eyes in the trees. "The ability to control the infected...fascinating." Taking a moment to think, his purple energy began to grow into a menacing aura around him. "How long have you been isolated out here Graves."

"You know my name?" Graves red eyes glowed brighter in the darkness as he dropped to the ground below. He then stepped out of the darkness, walking straight up to Malachi. His exosuit was silver with red energy flowing through it. Along with the brown ragged cloak he wore, there was a deer skull being used as a mask over his head.

"Hmm" Graves jumped back before whistling a quick, sharp tune. This tune caused multiple of the infected to charge at Malachi furiously. But before they could reach him, multiple spikes of purple energy burst from the ground and stabbed into their heads. "How" Graves thought. "I don't understand, he didn't look that strong earlier."

"You tricked me!" Graves yelled while fading away into the darkness. "You held back earlier against the infected."

"Only way to get you to show yourself." Malachi responded.

"Oh" Graves let out while analyzing Malachi's voice. "You, there's something wrong with you. From the faint condescending tone in your voice to your deceptive eyes, I don't like it. Yet you speak and act so properly, like a monster in wolves clothing."

Malachi suddenly phased forward into the darkness, causing Graves to shut up. "Don't you think that's a little rude." He whispered; his outline of purple energy appeared behind Graves own outline of red energy. Reaching out, he grabbed Graves by the face and chucked him back into the light.

Graves landed on the ground beside Shen, who quickly grabbed him by the arm and pinned him to the ground. "Fine" Graves chuckled while slipping out from Shen's grasp. Spinning around on the ground, his foot kicked up into Shen's face sending him into the air. Graves then jumped back off the ground into the air above Nero.

Before Nero could raise his shotgun, Graves grabbed his head and slammed it into the ground. As he was still holding onto Nero, Graves dragged his face through the ground for a moment before hurling him at Magna. Before she could even get up a second barrier, Nero crashed through the first right into Magna.

Shen landed back on the ground behind Graves, their backs facing each other. Graves' eyes simply stared menacingly at Hook before he and Shen whipped around to face each other. A quick slash from Shen's right-hand claw caused blood to splatter from Graves chest. But that left Shen open to receive a backhand from Graves right hand that was followed up by a left hook.

"I really fucking hate fighting people." Stumbling back, Shen threw out his left hand as he thought to himself. "People are far too unnecessarily complicated...I hate that." His hand then ripped in two from between his middle and ring finger. The rip ran down his hand to his wrist, the tear in his flesh and exosuit opening with nanomechanical teeth.

"Aw, thats cool." Graves said while dodging under a bite from Shen's left-hand mouth. "Does it hurt when you do that?"

"You get used to it." Shen answered while kicking Graves' foot out from under him. With Graves off the ground, he dashed forward and delived a powerful punch into Graves' face which slammed him into the ground.