Chapter 14: Sins of War

During the early days of World War Three, America was the victim of numerous attacks by other countries due to their isolationist policies. This resulted in mass destruction along both coasts, destroying many of their major cities. But that was not all the destruction America faced during the war.

In the year 2157, seven years after Mariquel declared War against Infinium, Mariquel launched two surprise attacks against Infinium Outpost on American soil. The first attack was in the state of Nebraska, where Infinium had set up a research facility. The facility was one that specialized in the research of nuclear power.

The assault on Infinium's Nebraska research facility lasted two days. Four Infinium Captains defended the facility against a Mariquel Mech and an entire army of soldiers. But in the end, is resulted in the death of all Four Captains and a Mariquel victory. Not that Mariquel won in the usual sense of the term.

Instead of handing over their years of research and their facility, the last surviving captain brought it upon themselves to destroy the facility. From deep within the lower levels of the facility, the Captain caused the nuclear reactor powering the facility to meltdown and explode.

That was not all though, as in the initial meltdown, there was a reaction between the explosion and the core of the Mech. The nuclear power of the meltdown upon encountering the energized core of the Mech caused an even greater explosion. One which had a yield multiple times more powerful than the Russian Tsar Bomba.

This secondary explosion resulted in the destruction of Nebraska along with parts of South Dekota and Iowa. There was an estimated casualty rate of 1.5 million American citizens. The land affected was also rendered a radioactive wasteland unfit for life that is now called "Zone Zero".

While this Infinium research facility was being assaulted, so was another in the Appalachian Mountains. This battle lasted for a day and a half and consisted of One Infinium Commander and Two Captains against Mariquels singular Mech and multiple Commander level exosuit users.

After a day and a half of fighting, the Infinium Commander was the only man left standing. And with the research facility still relatively undamaged, it was a clear Infinium victory. The first major victory Infinium had over Mariquel in almost a year. One that paved a path for the future to come.

"So, the battle you were actually hoping on winning ended in your loss?" Magna asked Crow as he was interacting with a control panel below a holographic screen.

"Exactly, the battle we bet so much on was lost all because of one damn exosuit user." Crow pressed a button on the control panel and backed away from it. "Commander Deathswitch." He said while making air quotations with his fingers.

"What was that about?" Magna asked as Crow walked away from the control panel towards the room's door.

"Nothing you need to worry yourself about." Crow answered. Now outside the room, Crow was in a massive hanger that was hundred over a hundred feet tall. Perfect for the gigantic Mech that stood in the middle of the hanger. "This...is the beast you will be taking with you on your mission."

"See, what I believed used be our main problem with these Mechs was that they were too basic. Except for Autumncross 006 and Hellbreaker 007. They all had the standard laser beam for their left arm and energy shield for their right arm." Crow began walking towards the Mech where another exosuit user stood.

"So then, I brought an idea to our researchers that would change the damn game for good." After Crow stopped walking, he turned his head to look at Magna. "You understand how the Mech uses a core that utilizes energy to function right?"

"Yes. It uses that energy to power its energy beam and shield." Magna answered.

"Exactly" Crow said while turning around and continuing to walk. "We were thinking to small with what we could do with that core. So, I asked them, how come our Mechs use the same energy that exosuit users do yet can't manipulate it in the same way. And it was that question that led us to what we have today."