Chapter 26: First Light

"They'll probably attack today." Zodiac peered up into the cloud filled ski as it began to rain. "We've already been waiting idly here for five days. The weather is perfect for a surprise attacks; I doubt they'll pass up this opportunity."

Poking his head out the watchtower window, Krejit looked up at Zodiac who was standing on top of the watchtower. "I'll let the head of the facility know about your thoughts."

Hearing thunder in the distance, Zodiac turned around to examine the massive base that served the purpose of training all of Infinium's new soldiers and exosuit users. He watched as Krejit jumped down from the tower into the courtyard. The sound of thunder grew more frequent as Krejit entered the main facility of the base.

"How fucking cliche can you get." Zodiac looked back up into the sky to examine the clouds. Lightning struck a tree in the jungle surrounding the base, lighting up the sky enough for Zodiac to make out a massive humanoid shape in the clouds. "Time to play motherfuckers." He said alarms began to blare across the base.

"Fucking shitty ass weather." Killjoy said, watching the waves crash violently into the rocky beach.

"So, you're saying the mech teleported you to the middle of the Saharra?" Ilya watched the Infinium Navy that surrounded the island. "That must have sucked."

"It was a bit annoying, more so by the fact that I had to drag that fucking mech back with me." Right after Killjoy finished talking, the base alarms began to blare which was followed by an explosion seconds later. Whipping around, he watched as a mech dropped from the sky onto the main facility of the base.

"Fuck!" Killjoy jumped forward towards the tree line but was stopped when an exosuit user landed right in front of him. Sand splattered onto his face, blocking his vision for a moment right before a fist hit him across the face. The attack sent him sliding back through the sand a couple feet.

Killjoy wiped the sand off his face, revealing Fade to be the one that stood before him. "Back for another ass beating?"

Phasing forward, Fade kicked Killjoy in the stomach before grabbing his head and smashing his knee into Killjoys face. Swinging his left arm, Killjoy sliced Fade across the thigh as he jumped back. Landing on the sand, Fade walked a couple steps backward before a large wall of ice burst out of the ground beside him.

A split second before the ice hit Fade, it suddenly exploded into a spectacle of blue energy. "You need a hand?" Yumi asked as she walked out of the tree line behind Fade.

"You get ice boy over there." Fade commanded. "I got this one."

"Let's get this shit going then!" Killjoy phased up to Fade and threw multiple punches at his head. Fade dodged under two of the punched and deflected the blade on Killjoy's left arm with his tail. Grabbing Killjoy by the wrist, Fade jerked him forward before headbutting him right in the nose.

Fade then tossed Killjoy to the side where he stumbled backwards for a moment. "Come on, you must be able to do better than that. You have your parent's abilities, just not the level of skill required to utilize them. It's disappointing."

"Do you ever shut up about them." Killjoy reached back and used his right arm to crack his back. A shockwave of red and purple energy exploded from his exosuit before he lunged at Fade. Killjoy swung his left arm out, the blade on his wrist expanding by a couple inches in order to slash Fade across the chest.

This caused Fade to laugh as he punched Killjoy in the cheek, which surprisingly failed to faze him. "I heard about what that tail of yours is capable of." Killjoy sent a powerful energy enhanced hook into Fade's stomach, sending him flying back into a tree. "How come you haven't tried it against me."