Chapter 18: The Day the Streets Ran Red

Dark stormy clouds blanketed the sky above Los Angeles showering the city with heavy rain. A large, enclosed stadium stood between dozens of skyscrapers. Millions of people were roaming the streets as the day prepared for a concert that was on course of being the largest attended live show in history.

The greatest metal band of today playing nonstop classics from across the genre for an entire week. In the stadium designed specialty for mass gatherings can easily hold a million people. And to celebrate this grand achievement, a festival of similar grandeur will be held across the city.

"I think it is time we should take a break." Ian stated while staring into the dark clouds. Rain fell all around Ian hitting the roof of the skyscraper he was standing on.

"You scared?" Lina coughed from the ground; her face implanted into the concrete ground of the roof.

"Please" Ian laughed as he sheathed his sword back into his cane. "You still have a long way to go before "scaring" me."

Lina pushed against the ground and jumped up from the ground onto her feet. "But I am getting better?"

"I will admit, your understanding of your capabilities is becoming greater." Ian confessed. "With enough training, I'm sure you'll be quite the formidable foe in the future."

Feeling a great sense of satisfaction, Lina could not help but let out a smile. "I understand how nice the feeling of growth is. But do not let your pride in your abilities grow into arrogance. Don't forget that there are always those stronger than you." Allistair said killing her mood.

"You down for drinks?" Ian asked in a more casual tone than how he spoke earlier. "I've been craving a strawberry banana smoothie for a couple hours now."

"I prefer milkshakes." Lina walked up next to Ian and stared up into the sky beside him. "What are you looking at?...oh shit, I mean-"

"I'm not entirely blind you know." Ian explained, his head dropping to view the street below. "I can still see by letting my energy spread all around me. When my energy encounters something I ca feel its presence. But that's not all I see. These broken eyes allow me to witness the flow of energy in its purest form."

"Energy in and of itself is a beautiful thing. I find it a shame that I can't share its beauty with any other." Letting his exosuit recede from around his head, Ian turned to face Lina. A burn-like scar lay across his face going from eye to eye. His blue eyes glowing with silver energy pierced through the veil of lies the world had to offer. 

Ian peered down at the stadium that was hosting the concert that was now beginning. A near crippling feeling of dread spread through his body as, from his point of view, the rain began to stain yellow. "What are you." Ian thought to himself while reaching out to grab a yellow raindrop.

The moment the raindrop plopped onto Ian's hand, spikes of yellow energy pierced through his palm and fingers. After drawing back and destroying the energy by clenching his hand, he grabbed Lina by the wrist and pulled her into his embrace. Another raindrop hit his back sending multiple spikes piercing into him.

With a yell of pain Ian let out a shockwave of energy from his exosuit that cleared the area around him of rain. "Hurry!" Ian tightened his grip on Lina's wrist and ran for the door that led to the lower levels of the skyscraper via a stairway. Letting out a yelp of pain, Lina fell as spikes pierced into her thigh.

"Shit" Ian thought as he threw Lina forward through the open door. With the rain now returning to its original curse he sprinted for the door that was only a couple yards away. And right when he was to reach the door, spikes pierced into his ankle causing him to drop and roll into the doorway.