Between Worlds

As time passed, Aayaan's physical condition improved, and he continued to stay in Paris during his recovery. His bones rejuvenated, and his injuries gradually healed. He began to move around more freely, seeking solace in the comforting ambiance of the city. One beautiful sunny morning, he found himself at a cafe, enjoying the soothing sounds of La Sienna as he sipped his coffee.

After finishing his coffee, Aayaan went for a leisurely walk and eventually found himself at the Jardin des Plantes, a picturesque botanical garden. He might have considered skipping it, but to his surprise, he spotted Katrina there. Deciding to seize the moment, he approached her to say hello.

As Katrina and Paul enjoyed their time in the botanical garden, they strolled amidst the lush surroundings. Paul, being aware of the traumatic incident involving Sophie, assumed that Katrina was in a state of depression due to the loss of her friend. And, Katrina had no memory of that fateful day when Minerva saved her from a horrifying fate. Nevertheless, she appreciated the companionship of Paul, finding solace in his presence.

On this particular day, while relishing the pleasant weather, Katrina also spotted Aayaan at the gate of Jardin des Paris. Aayaan greeted her with a delicate smile and a wave. Paul, noticing Katrina's reaction, sensed that she might know Aayaan. He inquired if she was familiar with him, but she remained silent. The suspicion that Aayaan might be the person responsible for her friend's death still haunted her.

As Aayaan approached Katrina with the intention of confronting her, he was well aware of the gravity of the situation. He hadn't yet figured out what he would say to her, but he felt a strong urge to provide her with some form of closure, even if it meant crafting a falsehood. The air was thick with tension, and the impending conversation was bound to be challenging for both of them.

Aayaan, as he came closer to Katrina and Paul, greeted them with a friendly, "Hello!" Katrina offered a slight nod in acknowledgment, while Paul extended his hand for a handshake and remarked, "I've seen you somewhere before."

"People have said that before," Aayaan responded with a friendly smile. His attention shifted to Katrina, who was giving him a rather uncomfortable and disdainful look. It was clear that she was not at ease in his presence.

Paul, however, continued to speak, "Oh, no, I remember now. You were with that elegant lady in the white robe. You're Aayaan Gautam, Meera Gautam's brother," Paul recognized Aayaan with a sense of shock. "It's a pleasure to meet you, sir. I really enjoy working at the hotel."

The atmosphere became charged with a mixture of emotions, with Paul expressing admiration and respect, while Katrina remained distant and wary.

Aayaan, seeking to break the tension that had settled over the conversation, turned his attention to Katrina and asked, "How are you doing, Katrina? I've been trying to reach you, but it's been hard to find you."

Katrina, without making eye contact with him, replied curtly, "I've been busy." Her response was filled with an air of distance, reflecting her unease and unresolved feelings.

Aayaan, genuinely concerned for Katrina's well-being, asked, "Are you feeling better now? Is there anything I can do to help?"

However, Katrina's response was far from what he expected. Her anger flared, and she retorted, "Yes, you can surrender to the police." The accusation took Paul by surprise, leaving him speechless.

Aayaan maintained his composure and responded, "I can understand where you're coming from. I actually came here with that intention, however, when I spoke to the police, they had already reached the conclusion that her death was due to an animal attack, and they didn't require my cooperation."

Katrina's accusations continued, as she asserted, "Yes, because you bribed them. I know, Mr. Gautam, how you got away with it. This is not over yet. I will uncover the truth, and you will be behind bars."

Aayaan let out a deep sigh and responded, "I didn't bribe anyone." He then reached for her hand and continued, "I understand how it feels to lose someone close. I know you want justice for your friend, but you won't achieve it if you're pale and weak like this. I can see that you've been through a lot, and I genuinely want to help you."

With an indifferent tone, Katrina retorted, "By bribing me too?"

Aayaan, with a tone of resignation, responded, "If you want me behind bars, so be it. I won't stand in your way. If you believe I deserve the death sentence, go ahead. But at least consider what I have to offer you."

Katrina's response was cold and resolute. She stated, "I don't want anything from you." Her determination to seek justice in her own way remained unshaken, and she seemed unwilling to accept any help or explanations from Aayaan.

Aayaan, his expression tinged with disappointment, replied, "I'm not sure what to say. I would have been glad if you had accepted my offer, but I respect your decision. I'll be leaving tomorrow morning. If you ever change your mind or want to talk, you're free to come."

As Aayaan was preparing to leave, Katrina confronted him with a direct question, "Did you kill her?"

Aayaan came to a halt, his steps faltering as he took a deep breath. He didn't turn to face Katrina but spoke with a voice filled with sadness, "I don't know if I killed her or not, but she was dead because of me."

Aayaan continued to walk away from the park, leaving Katrina bewildered. "What? Come back, what do you mean?" she called out, her voice laced with confusion. She turned to Paul, seeking some kind of explanation.

"Did you hear him? He doesn't know," she said urgently. Without waiting for Paul's response, she followed Aayaan, shouting, "You can't just leave like this, come back!"

She sprinted after him, only to find that he was nowhere to be seen. The sudden disappearance left Katrina even more perplexed, and a sense of frustration and desperation washed over her. 

In the dimly lit hotel room, Aayaan sat on the sofa, lost in contemplation about the recent events that had unfolded. Minerva quietly entered the room, sensing that something was deeply troubling him. She walked up to him, her concern evident, and gently placed her hand on his shoulder. She asked in a hushed tone, "What is this?"

Minerva responded with a measured tone, "There is no such thing as justice or injustice in the world. Your purpose is not to provide justice but to maintain the delicate balance that exists. Concepts of justice and injustice are often the perspectives of those who are either blind to this natural order or too weak or afraid to fulfill their role in it."

Aayaan, still grappling with his inner turmoil, questioned, "If we are created only to maintain the balance, then why do I feel so miserable about it?" 

Minerva regarded him with a solemn expression, understanding the depth of his struggle. She replied, "Because, Aayaan, you are not just a mere agent of balance. You are also a sentient being with emotions, and that duality is the source of your inner conflict. It's natural to feel this way, but you must find a way to reconcile your existence with the role you play."

Aayaan's voice trembled as he admitted, "I don't want any of this. During my battle with Mephistopheles, I even hoped that he would finish me, but he couldn't."

Minerva tenderly wrapped her arms around Aayaan, offering a comforting embrace. She spoke softly, "It is never our choice, Aayaan. We have to live with the burdens that are thrust upon us."