Chapter fourteen

After three weeks, Vergilia came back to school. She still had the cast and used crutches, but apart from that, she looked okay. Dante carried her backpack around, Y/n could see that he was still beating himself up. Y/n closed his eyes and relaxed, as he was sitting on the windowsill next to the stairs, until the bell to the first classes rang. The classroom was upstairs, so Y/n waited for most of the students to pass him by. What caught his attention was Dante helping his sister. It didn't seem to be enough, since he had only one arm free. Y/n contemplated, if he should step in, before he did, when he saw Vergilia almost lose her balance. He jumped of the windowsill and walked up to them.

-Dante, take her crutches. - he said.

-What are you doing? - asked Vergilia, as Dante did what he was told.

-I didn't carry you out of the fire just to have you snap your neck on those damn stairs. - Y/n said, before he picked Vergilia up bridal style. She held onto him and it did feel somehow nice.

-It was you? - she asked and that's when Y/n scolded himself in his head. He didn't want Vergilia to know, but he spoke without thinking.

-Yeah. - he nodded as he carried her to the classroom.

Once they were on the spot, their classmates awed and whistled at them. Y/n could see that Victoria was pissed off, but for once it wasn't his problem. Dante laughed at the reaction of other students, before Y/n spoke up.

-Shut the hell up all of you. - he said. - Nice to see any of you trying to help by the way. - that shut them up.

Then he carefully set Vergilia on her feet, before she took the crutches from her brother.

-Thank you. - she said, looking at Y/n.- For then and now.

-I'll be around, don't use the stairs without me. - Y/n instructed. - If I will have to go somewhere, I will leave a member of my team to assist you.

-I don't think it's necessary. - Vergilia argued. - All I need is some practice.

-Practice on an even ground, not on the stairs. - Y/n answered, ending the discussion.

Y/n kept his word, he carried Vergilia up and down the stairs for the whole day, and next ones that came after. She opposed from time to time, but it was clear to her, that Y/n wouldn't stop. Every time he was needed by Hibari, or had to intervene in some ruckus, Vergilia was left with Dante, also with Akaza nearby too. Even though Akaza was better built than Y/n, Vergilia didn't want him to carry her. All he could do was holding her up, making sure she didn't fall.

-Akaza! - Y/n was nearing to them with a frown on his face. Akaza tensed, as he would feel the scolding coming. - You should have carried Vergilia down.

-I didn't let him, don't get angry at him. - Vergilia immediately stepped in.

-I told him to make sure you're safe. - Y/n answered.

-He does, I just don't want to carry me. - Vergilia argued. - I let you do that, because you're just too stubborn, but he doesn't have to.

Y/n took a deep breath and slowly let it out to calm down. Then he closed his eyes for a second, before opening them again.

-Fine. - he said, noticeably calmer. - Akaza, you're free. Thanks.

-Anytime. - Akaza nodded and left them.

Vergilia started making her way to the classroom, where their next lesson was supposed to take place. Y/n didn't feel like doing the same, he joined Akashi and the basketball team for the break. Recently he felt very tired, probably his body was reacting to doing more physical work than usually. He plopped down on the chair next to Nebuya and leaned on the table.

-You look like you really need a break.- said Kotarou, slightly worried.

-I will get one when Vergilia won't need the crutches anymore. - Y/n sighed in response.

-How long will it take? - asked Nebuya.

-I don't care. - Y/n muttered.

They gave each other a knowing look, but they didn't continue the subject. Last thing they needed was Y/n getting angry, and whenever he was tired, the probability of him lashing out was higher. Better solution was just letting him relax with them.