2. Tyler

"You're sure?" I asked Samantha.

"Yeah. I am. I mean, I'll miss everyone here but I think a change of scenery might be nice. Especially since Tristan is out of jail. I really need to get away from everything that's happened. I mean, I wish we were all moving to California, but you insist on being in Ohio," she smirked at me.

I frowned. Not at her reasoning but that the little shit who had hurt her in January served six months and was free. He'd been expelled from South Columbus and the school had told us they'd put a protection order out so he wasn't supposed to show up on school property, like, ever. But he still had friends at the school and who knew?

"Well, you know my life is here. My family is here, though now one member will be across the country. And that is absolutely not me trying to guilt you into staying."

Samantha smiled.

"Thanks, Dad," she said.

"Okay. So, we have some work to do. I'll let Brendon and Sarah know you accepted, so they can start getting things ready. We're going to have to tell your sisters and now we have to plan a party!"

"A party? Why?" Sam asked.

"You deserve an 18th birthday slash Bon Voyage party!" I said.

"Do I have to have a party? My 18th kinda sucked."

"Well, no. We don't have to have a party. I would love to give you the perfect send off to what I hope will be an amazing year.  You deserve it."

Sam smiled. Jenna turned to her.

"Sam, we want to celebrate your 18th. Especially because it was kinda shitty," Jenna said. "And wouldn't you like to say goodbye to your friends?"

"I guess," she acquiesced.

"And you know Rosie thinks everything needs a party," Jenna smiled.

I knew Samantha didn't really want to acknowledge her 18th birthday, considering she'd spent it as her uncle's captive. And it had been another month before we got her back after that. But we had wanted to throw her a party. In fact it had been planned. We'd had to cancel everything because of Mark Solman.

Samantha smiled a more real smile.

"Well, we can't disappoint Rosie Posey," she said.

"Great. We have a lot of work to do then," I said. "I'll call the school tomorrow and get them to transfer over your records. Do you want to call your coach?"

"Oh," Samantha said, her face falling. "I forgot about that. Do you think I'll be able to play Varsity there?"

"I don't know, sweetheart. Maybe your coach can connect with the coach there, I guess."

Samantha sighed. I think that was one thing she may have been dreading - telling her coach and team she wouldn't be playing for South Columbus this year.

"I really don't want to make that call. I will, because I should, but..." she trailed off.

"I know, kiddo," I said. Samantha didn't like confrontation or difficult conversations. She also hated letting anyone down and she knew her team would miss her.

"Oh. Crap," Sam said.  "The Hornets!"

"Yeah. You're going to have to talk to them, too."

"Do I have to?  Can't you talk to Coach and I'll call my school coach?"

"Nope. You're an adult and you know it should come from you," I said.

"I know," she sighed. "Can't blame a girl for trying?"