60. Samantha

"Hey, Sam," Dylan said, coming outside with Aunt Sarah and the dogs.

"Hi, Dyl," I smiled up at him.

"Whatcha doing?" He asked, coming over and sitting down on the pavement beside me and wrapping me in a hug. I leaned back into him.

"I am doing very important work," I said, winking at Rosie and Junie, who had stopped drawing and were watching Dylan and I. Rosie looked a little more skeptical than Junie.

"Oh, are you?" Dylan asked, moving up a bit and picking up some yellow chalk.

"Yes. Right, Rosie and Junie? We're working very hard decorating Uncle Brendon and Aunt Sarah's patio."

Junie nodded enthusiastically.

Dad had come out and was leaning on the doorway, his arms crossed, watching Dylan and I.

"I apologize now if my parents do anything embarrassing, but I don't think I can spare you from my dad's third degree," I said to him. He smiled at me, kissed my cheek and got up. He walked over to Dad and put out his hand.

"Hi again, Mr. Joseph," Dylan said, smiling as he approached Dad. All I could think was that I really hoped Dad wasn't going to be overbearing.

Dad put out his hand, but didn't return Dylan's smile.

"Good to see you again, Dylan," Dad said.

"Dylan!" Uncle Brendon said, coming outside in his bathing suit. He clapped Dylan and Dad on the shoulders.

"Hi, Mr. Urie," Dylan said.

"Dylan - I told you. You can call me Brendon," Uncle Brendon smiled.

"I know. I just thought, with Mr. Joseph here, I'd stick to mister," Dylan said, grinning sheepishly.

I watched Dad's facade starting to crack. He was trying to maintain his 'Papa Bear' act, but he'd met Dylan when I was in a coma. And he knew Uncle Brendon and Aunt Sarah had met him many times.

After exchanging pleasantries with Dad and talking with Mom, he came back and sat down beside me again.

"Are you Sammy's boyfriend?" Rosie asked, bluntly. I know my face went red. I don't know what Dylan looked like. I was afraid to find out.

"Oh. Ummmm," Dylan said, looking at me. "I, I don't know. I guess so?"

I shrugged.

"You should be," Rosie said.

"Should I?" Dylan said to Rosie. "Why is that?"

"You're nice. You make Sammy smile," Rosie said.

"And you cute!" Junie interjected.

"Junie!" I laughed, blushing.

"Sorry," she said. "I mean you hansom."

She mispronounced it and I almost lost it with the cuteness.

"Oh," Dylan said. "In that case, Sam, want to be my girlfriend?"

I laughed.

"Sure, why not?" I laughed. Dylan and I had already established that we were dating.

I looked over at Dad. I couldn't quite read his expression.

"Well, if that's the best you can do..." Dylan smirked.

"Well, you forget, I'm saving myself for Ryan Reynolds," I joked.

"Isn't he married?" Dylan said.

"A minor technicality," I said.