57. Samantha

"Okay," Dad said. "But you haven't had any more, uh, dreams like that? Or anything during the day?"

"No," I said. "Not since Tuesday."

I'd told him and Mom about Monday and then about the dream on Tuesday.

"There's something else," I said.

"Oh, Sam," Mom said, I guess thinking something had gone wrong.

"Are you okay?" Dad asked. I smiled.

"I'm fine," I said. "I had, um, maybe. Kinda..."

"Another seizure?" Dad asked. I frowned at him

"Can I finish?" I asked.

"Sorry," he said.

"What is it, honey?" Mom asked, clearly concerned.

"I had, kinda. Sorta, maybe, a date?" I said.

"Really?! Oh Sam! How exciting!" Mom gushed. Dad frowned.

"Explain 'date'," Dad said.

"This guy in my class, Dylan.  He's really nice. He came over and we watched a movie together," I said.

"Tell me more about Dylan," Dad said. "Were Sarah and Brendon home?"

I laughed.

"Yes Dad. And don't worry, Uncle Brendon was very attentive," I rolled my eyes. "Dylan is the one whose house I was at the night of the accident."

"Right. I remember him. He came to see you in the hospital quite a few times," Mom said. "He seems really nice. He was so worried about you."

I smiled.

"Well, Monday, when I had that - breakdown - he stopped us in the hallway. I didn't really register it was him. Aunt Sarah told me it was him. Anyway, he asked if he could give me a hug. And again last night he asked before he gave me a hug. He also held my hand during the movie."

Mom was "squeeing."  Dad looked - I don't know - somewhere between mad and confused.

"Dad?" I smiled at him. "You okay?"

"I'm not ready for you to start dating," he said.

Mom and I laughed.

"Dad, I'm 18.  You can't keep me a child forever," I said.

"I know," he sighed. "But I only got to raise you from 13 on. There's so much we missed out on doing with you. And now you're an adult and while I know I legally can't tell you what to do - you made that abundantly clear, I'm still your dad, you're still my daughter and I still worry about you. Especially with everything you've been through. Don't take this to think I don't trust you. I do. You're an amazing kid, sorry, young woman, and I'm so proud of how resilient you are. But that doesn't make it any easier to watch you grow up. I want you to be strong and independent. You deserve it after everything. But at the same time, I don't see you as any different than Rosie and Junie and your soon to be baby brother, that I'm having a hard time accepting you're growing up."

"Hang on!" I exclaimed. "Baby brother?"

"Surprise!" Mom said. Rosie and Junie came into the picture.

"Hi Sammy!" Rosie exclaimed.

"Sammy! We're havin a brudder!" Junie said.

"We're having a brother!" I exclaimed and they all laughed. Uncle Brendon poked his head around the corner.

"You're having a boy?" He asked as he came into the camera view. Mom and Dad smiled and nodded.

"We're having a brother!" I cried.