11. Brendon

Sarah and I were back at the airport waiting for Sam's flight to deplane. We were standing in the arrivals area trying to be inconspicuous but I saw some paparazzi hanging around and it'll be interesting to see if they noticed us and whether they'd report on us picking Sam up.

Sarah grabbed my arm as the baggage area doors opened. We knew Sam hadn't checked a bag, so we weren't surprised to see her come out among the first group of mostly business travellers who knew how to travel light.

I frowned when I looked at Samantha. She looked exhausted. Way more tired than a four hour flight should have made her. And it was only nine at night.

"Hey there," I said, hugging her as she came up to us. "You okay?"

"Yeah. I'm just tired," she said. Sarah scrutinized her.

"It's early but straight to bed then when we get home, alright?"

Sam nodded. I took her backpack and crutches from her.

We got into the car and Sam climbed into the back of the car. She was asleep by the time we pulled into the driveway.

"Can you carry her or do you want to wake her up?" Sarah asked.

"Hopefully nothing is brewing and she's just tired, but I'll carry her in. You'll take care of her leg and everything?" I asked. Sarah nodded and I carefully lifted the sleeping teenager into my arms.

"Sorry uncle B," she mumbled as she put her arms around me to hold herself up some.

I carried her upstairs and placed her on her bed.

"Sarah's going to help you get ready for bed, and I'll come check on you later, okay?"

"Mmhm," Sam mumbled.

I left Sarah and Sam in the bedroom and went downstairs to call Tyler.

"What's up B?  Sam get in alright?" He answered.

"Yeah. She's here. No problems. But she came off the flight looking beyond exhausted. Is she alright?"

"She was okay while she was here. Jenna thought she looked like she wasn't feeling well on Saturday and Sunday we just lazed around the house being the laziest people in Ohio, watching movies and napping."

"I guess we'll keep an eye on her tonight. Maybe something is brewing?" I asked.

"Possible. Keep us in the loop," he said.

"Obviously," I said.

"Just remember, she can get pretty sick pretty fast with the complications from the amputation and her diabetes and so forth."

"I know, I remember," I said. "Hopefully she's just recuperating from the weekend."

We talked a little longer and then Sarah came downstairs.

"She's a bit warm, B," she said. "I checked. 100.4°."

"Okay. She must have something brewing. Did you take her leg off?"

"Yeah. Her stump looks fine. I didn't see any red spots."

"Okay. We'll just have to keep an eye on her,"
I said.

Sarah looked more worried than I thought she should be right now.

"Sar?" I asked.

"It's just, I remember Jessie getting sick and how sick she could get, and I know Sam can get pretty sick pretty fast, too. And I can't separate the two."

I hugged my wife. I knew what she was thinking about, and the fact that Sam isn't our kid, just compounded her fear of something happening to Sam.