42. Samantha

"Welcome home!" Uncle Brendon cheered as Mom and Dad helped me out of the car and walked beside me as I tried to walk into the house. I had my leg on, but I was using my crutches for stability. I was still a little weak, but way better than before.

After I'd thrown up about an ocean of blood, and had surgery to fix that, I'd spent a couple of days in bed recovering but since they hadn't had to cut open my stomach, I didn't have stitches or anything to worry about in that regard.  I was able to start walking around again.

After another week, because the surgery had derailed me getting out on the weekend, I was finally able to leave. I had a ton of appointments coming up, and I had to get in touch with the school about going back. Well, Mom said she'd do that and help figure stuff out.

It was amazing having my parents and my sisters around. And Mom's pregnant again! I can't wait to find out if Bean is a brother or a sister.

"Do you need help up the stairs?" Dad asked. Uncle Brendon and Aunt Sara's house had a set of about four stairs from the front door into the house that might be a challenge.

"I don't know yet. I want to try," I said. Dad made a sound and shook his head, but he was smirking.

"What?" I asked.

"You're so stubborn," he said.

"Good thing, too," I said. "Or we'd never have gotten here."

I smiled triumphantly as I put my foot up on the top step. Uncle Brendon came running over and lifted me up in a hug.

"Look at you!" He cheered. "How do you feel?"

"A bit winded and tired, but okay. I don't think I can do a whole flight though," I puffed.

"Well, we can either set up a cot for you down here or we'll just help you up the steps. We'll carry you if we have to," Uncle Brendon smiled. I saw Dad shoot Mom a look.

"Um," Dad said, looking at me, then looking away. "We, that is, Jenna and I, were thinking maybe Sam should come home for the rest of the year."

I looked at him incredulously.

"What?" I cried, angry tears coming to my eyes. "Why? You said I could take my whole senior year here! I don't want to come home yet!"

"Samantha," Mom said. "You, we nearly lost you, sweetheart. We almost did. I can't bear you being so far away."

"No!" I shouted. "I'm not coming home! I'm okay! I'm going to be okay! I have friends here! I don't want to leave them!"

"Sam, you can keep in touch with them like you've been doing with your friends back home," Mom said.

Hot tears rolled down my cheeks. I looked from Mon to Dad, to Uncle Brendon, whose head was down and he wasn't looking around. I looked to Aunt Sarah who also wouldn't meet my gaze. Did they think it was a good idea, too? Did they want to get rid of me? Just because I was in an accident?

No one would meet my gaze. Mom and Dad, though, were looking at me. I pushed past them and started up the stairs. I got about halfway up before I couldn't do anymore and sank onto the stairs, bawling like a baby. Dad started moving towards the stairs and so I tried to crawl up the stairs. I made it up a couple more, before my arms gave out.

"Go away,!" I screamed at him. "Go away! I'll get myself up eventually!"

"Sam," Dad said, pleadingly.

"No!" I screamed, louder. I tried to pull myself up another step, but couldn't. I put my head down and sobbed.

I felt a hand on my back and I lashed out with my left arm. I connected with something, someone, but they didn't move. I just kept trying to punch whoever it was, probably Dad. After a couple of punches, Dad grabbed my arm and wrapped his arms around me. I knew it was him from his cologne. I continued to cry, just sobbing and sobbing because I didn't want to leave California. This had to work out.