20. Samantha

We walked through some back hallways until we had to go out into the main part of the courthouse to get into the courtroom. Mom and Dad were right behind me. Our lawyer, Mr. Kravitz, was right beside me. He was speaking encouragingly to me. I held my head up. I wasn't going to give Mark any power over me. He was going to know that he doesn't scare me anymore.

"You're doing great, Samantha," Mr. Kravitz said quietly to me. It gave the illusion of speaking strategy but really, it was encouragement. We'd already discussed strategy.

The court staff opened the courtroom doors for us and we went into the courtroom and made our way over to the plaintiff side. There were already people sitting in the row behind the table. I frowned. Who'd be here already?

Then they stood up and turned around and I stopped in shock.

"Carol?!" I said. She smiled and came out of her seat to give me a hug.

"Hello, Samantha. You look fantastic. California is agreeing with you, I take it?"

I smiled at her and then looked behind her at Emma and Benji, who were also both smiling. I hugged both of my cousins and said hello.

"It is. It's been great so far. What are you guys doing here? I'm not complaining, this is a great surprise. But, what are you doing here?"

"We're here to support you. And I might be one of the witnesses," Carol said.

"Thank you," I said, hugging my aunt again. She may be an aunt by marriage but she's already a better aunt than her husband has been an uncle. Sorry, ex-husband.

We caught up for a few minutes while Mr. Kravitz and Mom and Dad and Mr. Kravitz's assistant got things ready at the table. I had some schoolwork with me that I was going to try to do. This time we were really the ones with the power. Mark wasn't going to be able to hold sway over me anymore. Mr. Kravitz had my statement, and I'd have to testify at some point. Plus, I guess, Carol. And Mom and Dad. I don't know who Mark would get to defend or testify for him and what he did. I was actually looking forward to seeing how he tried to spin this one. Now that I was more aware about how these things work and I know everything he says is likely to be a lie, and how to talk to my lawyer without getting in trouble from the judge.

A minute later, a door opened and Mark was brought in and sat at the defence table. He looked over at me. I glared at him in defiance. Then looked away. Dad squeezed my hand.

"All rise. The Honorable Bill Jameson presiding," the bailiff announced. I stood on my crutches. My stump was so itchy.

"Be seated," the judge said as he came into the courtroom and took his seat. "Good morning."

The lawyers both stayed standing and said good morning. The Bailiff read out the case number and the lawyers sat down after affirming that was why we were all there. The lawyer had explained to me that a bench trial, what we were having, was a trial without a jury. It's why we were able to have this so quick. Plus, Mark was considered a flight risk. He'd been in jail waiting for this hearing. All the pre trial stuff had been taken care of when I'd gone to California.

After some preamble, the judge basically telling us all the rules we were expected to follow and instructing the media and all that stuff, Mr. Kravitz stood up. He'd said he'd present our side first. I pulled out my World History homework.

"Thank you, your Honor.  On June 17 of this year, it is our contention that the defendant, Mark Solman, did willfully, consciously and intentionally assault my client, Samantha Joseph, a minor at the time. He physically attacked her, causing her to fall unconscious and then forced her into a small equipment crate which he locked and then removed from the Vue Event Center. He accessed the venue under false pretences, disguising himself as a member of the sound crew.