61. Tyler

Samantha was all smiles all weekend. Jenna read me the riot act after I started grilling Dylan about his plans after high school. I didn't want Samantha to plan her schooling around her boyfriend. I've never dealt with Samantha having a boyfriend. How am I supposed to know she's already made the decision that Dylan is not the number one factor in her decision on which school she's going to go to? This is all new to me!

It's obvious, however, that Dylan really cares for Samantha. I saw it in all the little things he did. Just tiny little gestures. Like letting Junie claim his lap, and letting Rosie take over the conversation at lunch to tell him all about our trip to Disney. It was how he handed Samantha a Diet Coke without her asking, as if it was just natural. And I could see in his eyes whenever Samantha spoke, he listened. He really listened. He seemed able to see when she needed a little space or when she was happy to lean against him and have his arms around her.

I want to say I'm happy, and I am, but I'm also a dad of a daughter who has experienced a significant amount of trauma in her life. I can't help but be protective. She's my kid!

Dylan wound up staying through for dinner as well, and the eight of us got along really well. Dylan was attentive to Junie and Rosie, and that was great to see. You can tell when someone is just going through the motions. And kids know when people aren't sincere. Junie and Rosie both took to Dylan and declared him acceptable for their big sister.

After dinner we got the little kids ready for bed and they asked Dylan to tell them a bedtime story, so he and Sam went up to put the two to bed. I bit my tongue so I wouldn't tell them to come straight back downstairs. Jenna would have had my head if I'd said anything, based on the look on her face when they agreed to tell the kids stories.

Once the littles were in bed, Dylan said he should head home. He admitted he had some homework to finish and the look on Samantha's face was priceless.

"Dylan!" She said. "You told me you had everything done!"

"I lied," he said with a sheepish grin. "I wanted to hang out with you and your family. It's not that much homework, Sam. It's just the last few questions for chemistry."

Samantha gave him a suspicious look.

"I promise. It's like, three questions. I can bang those out in an hour. Probably less," he said, looking apologetic and giving her a kiss on the cheek. "Brendon, Sarah, thank you for lunch. And dinner. Mr. and Mrs. Joseph, I mean, Tyler and Jenna, it was nice to see you again."

"It was great to see you, too, Dylan," Jenna said. "I hope we'll see you again before we leave?"

"Probably," Dylan smiled.

Samantha walked him to the front door and I heard her open the door. It was a couple of minutes before I heard the door close. Samantha came back into the living room with a smile on her face.

"He's a nice young man," I said. Samantha frowned at me.

"When did you turn into a 50-year-old accountant?" She asked, one eyebrow raised. Brendon started laughing.

"Okay, he's a righteous dude," I countered. Samantha raised her other eyebrow so that her expression was one of slight surprise.

"Okay, Ferris Bueller," she smirked and rolled her eyes.

She sat down on the sofa beside me and leaned on me.

"He really is a nice guy, Sam," Jenna said. "He clearly cares for you. Are you happy?"

"I am," Samantha smiled. "I really am. He really is great. He gives me space when I need it and doesn't take it personally. And if I look like I'm upset, he's really sweet about asking what's up, giving me room if I need it or being there if I need someone to, I dunno, lean on? Metaphorically and literally. He comes to all our games and practices. And we've played some one on one. And yes, Dad. I am very careful."