45. Samantha

"Bye!  Thank you for everything! We couldn't have asked for better friends. You guys have been just amazing," Mom was saying to Uncle Brendon and Aunt Sarah, giving them hugs.

"Jenna, let's go. We're going to miss our flight if you keep this up," Dad said, smiling. "Ready, Sam?"

I smiled and put Junie down in her stroller for the trip through security.

"Have a safe flight," Uncle Brendon said to Mom and Dad. "Call us the minute you land! We want to know you got home safe!"

Dad hugged him again.

"You promise?" Dad said to Uncle Brendon.

"I promise. We'll keep on top of everything. Sam's going to be fine."

I smiled up at him as he put his arm around my shoulders. I was leaning on my crutches.

"Samantha," Mom said. "You know I'm still terrified to be leaving you. Please, please, please be careful."

"It's not like I asked for us to get in a car accident," I said.

"Not funny," Mom said, with a hint of a smile on her face. "Please. Just be careful, okay?"

I nodded and leaned into her hug. I would miss them. Having them here since I woke up and for the past couple of weeks since I've been out of the hospital had kinda been nice. But they had to get home and I was starting to get back to school.

"Bye Sammy!" Rosie said, wrapping her arms around my leg. I smiled down at her and Mom picked her up for me. I put my arms around her and I kissed her cheek. Then all over her face. She giggled. It was musical.

"All those kisses have to last to Easter," I smiled at her. "Okay?"

Rosie nodded and hugged my neck again.

"You'll read to me sometimes?" Rosie asked.

"You bet," I said.

"Bye bye, Sama," Junie grinned up at me.

"Bye bye, Junie Bug," I tickled her and rubbed noses with her. We both laughed.

I stood back up and Dad was standing in front of me.

"Be good, and be careful, will ya?" He said.

"I will be good and I will try my best to be careful," I swore. "Scouts honor."

"Pfft. You were never a scout, so that means nothing!" Dad laughed and then pulled me into a tight hug. "Please. I mean it. Be careful. I love you so much."

"Love you too, Dad," I said, hugging him tightly. "Thanks, again."

"You're welcome. Make us proud. I know you will."

I hugged everyone one more time and then watched as Mom and Dad and my sisters went back to Ohio for the first time in three months. I leaned on Uncle Brendon, who handed me a Kleenex because he knew I was crying a little."

"Alright," Aunt Sarah said. "What are we feeling? Dinner? Out? Home? Pizza?"

I shrugged as I looked back towards the security checkpoint. Mom turned around, saw me, waved like she was trying to fly, and blew kisses. I smiled, but tears were coming out of my eyes. Uncle Brendon put his arm around my shoulders.

"You okay?" He asked. I sighed.

"Yeah," I smiled up at him. "Yeah. I am. I'm thinking... sushi?"

"Oooh. Good idea. I ...,"

"Know a place," Aunt Sarah and I finished. Uncle Brendon always 'knew a place.' The three of us were laughing so hard. I felt amazing. Really, really amazing. I smiled to myself.