8. Samantha

"Well, Samantha," the woman in front of me was saying. "It's nice to meet you. Dr. Freud has lots of wonderful things to say about you."

She seemed nice. So far. But she isn't Doc and I don't know if I can trust her yet. I know Doc wouldn't send me to just anyone he found in a phone book. At least, I hoped not...

I smiled at the doctor as I looked around her office. There were some colourful pieces of art around the office. I was sitting on a soft sofa, which had a bunch of very soft pillows on it. One was in my lap as I hugged it.

"So, I've been through your file. It's quite extensive. You have been through a lot for someone so young! But I see from Dr, Freud's notes that while you've struggled in some cases, you are resilient and willing to put in work needed to learn from certain experiences?"

"I guess," I said. "I mean, some things took longer than others."

"I'd imagine so," she said. "So, is there anything in particular you want to cover today? Or is it alright if we get to know each other?"

"Nothing pressing really," I said. She nodded.

"Well, I'm an open book, so unless it's not anything you should be asking, and you don't seem the type, then I'm willing to answer just about any question. That said, I expect the same."

I nodded. So fair she seems okay. She's not Doc though.

"How have you enjoyed California so far?" She asked.

"So far it's been great. Even with school," I smiled. She smiled back at me. She had a nice smile. Friendly. It didn't feel like she was forcing it.

"You chose to come out here for your Senior Year instead of finishing with your class in Ohio? Dr Freud has mentioned a few reasons, but I'd like to hear from you what made you make that decision."

I took a deep breath and sighed.

"Well, last June - sorry, not this past June. Last year, there was a shooting at my school. My friend Blaine," my eyes filled with tears. "He died protecting me."

"David, I mean, Dr. Freud mentioned that. I'm not going to ask how that made you feel. I can't imagine the pain that caused."

I nodded.

"He was a really good friend," I whispered. "I really miss him."

"I'm sure," the doctor said. "Losing friends is hard, especially when you're so young, but also in the way you lost yours. You dealt with some extreme guilt from that, I see."

"I did. I do. Sometimes I still feel like Blaine shouldn't have sacrificed himself just to save me."

"I can understand that. There are all sorts of platitudes I can offer you but I expect you and Dr. Freud have explored them."

"You called him David. Did you know him?" I asked. "Sorry, do you?"

"I do. David and I were in medical school together."

I smiled. Okay, Doc knew her better than just as a colleague. I relaxed a little.

"I call him Doc," I said. She smiled.

"So did we. In school," Dr. Williams said, still smiling. "What else precipitated you coming out here to spend the year?"

"Um, I was, um," I still had trouble saying this out loud. "I was r-raped in January at a school dance. By someone I thought I could trust."

Tears started falling from my eyes even faster than when she'd brought up Blaine. I think I've come closer to coming to terms with Blaine than with what Tristan did.