19. Tyler

Josh and Debby had gone out of town so when Sam was supposed to come home, one of us had to stay home with the girls. Rosie was being clingy and even though she'd be asleep by the time Sam's plane landed, I knew if she woke up and I wasn't home, she'd be upset. So Jenna went to get Samantha and I stayed home.

Samantha came in and just pushed past me and went upstairs.

"What's the matter with her?" I asked Jenna.

"I don't know. She came off the plane looking just miserable. But she wouldn't tell me what's wrong."

"I'll go talk to her. Brendon mentioned she's been in a funk since the party and her hangover and the consequences they put on her."

I went upstairs and knocked on Sam's door. She was already in bed, which was a little surprising. She claimed she was tired and didn't want to eat anything.

Finally, we were able to find out what was wrong. She had internalized the consequences Brendon had put on her for the issues from the party a couple of weeks ago. She thought everyone was mad at her and disappointed by her. We talked to her, Jenna and I - Jenna had come upstairs and into Sam's room. We told her that we had been disappointed in the choices she made and worried about her, but that noone was mad at her and that she'd clearly punished herself more than any of us had ever thought to.

She cried, hard but I felt her lighten up. She somehow managed to feel heavy when she was upset and felt lighter when she was finally able to let go of what was weighing her down.

Saturday morning she seemed much happier. Rosie woke her up and it was adorable to watch. Rosie opened Sam's bedroom door and looked in. Sam was asleep still so I told Rosie to be careful waking her sister up. Rosie tiptoed into Sam's room and quietly crawled up onto her bed. Sam, being obviously deeply asleep, simply frowned and moved a bit. Rosie looked back at me and grinned. I nodded, smiling.

"Saaaammmy," Rosie whispered. Samantha frowned again and grunted, and then rolled over.

Rosie turned around and frowned at me. I smiled and encouraged her to try again.

"Saaaammmmy!" Rosie said, louder while gently patting Sam's arm.

"What?" Samantha groaned.

"Hi Sammy!" Rosie exclaimed. Samantha opened her eyes and saw her sister. She grabbed Rosie, who shrieked with laughter, in a huge hug and rolled onto her back so Rosie was on top of her. Rosie put her arms around Sam's neck and hugged her back.

"Hey RosieRo! Good morning!"

"Mornin' Sammy! You're home!!"

"I am," Sam smiled.

"Morning, Kiddo," I said from the doorway. "How are you feeling?"

Samantha looked over at me.

"I'm okay," she said.

"You sure?" I asked.

She looked at me then back at Rosie and smiled.

"Yeah. Yeah. I'm okay. I'm better. Thanks. Last night helped."

"I'm sorry you were feeling so bad, sweetheart," I said, coming to sit on her bed. She shrugged.

"You had a sick?" Rosie asked.

"Not exactly," Sam said to her sister. "It was more a sad."

"In your head?"

"Yeah. I guess," Sam said.

"Did you go to the hospital?"

Sam smiled at her sister.

"I did not. I talked to Momma and Daddy and they helped."