48. Sarah

I was talking with Kala, who had come over for lunch, when my cellphone started ringing. I looked at the display.

"It's the school!" I said, grabbing the phone and picking up the call.

"Hello?" I said.

"Is this Mrs. Urie?" The voice on the other end asked.

"It is," I said. "What's the matter? Is it Samantha? Is she okay?"

"She's alright but she did have an incident in the cafeteria at lunch. She passed out and is still unconscious. She's in the nurse's office right now."

"Do you know did she have a seizure?" I asked.

"I don't believe so. At least, no one said that she did. She went into the cafeteria and then fainted, apparently. Now, she is resting comfortably, it seems. We haven't called an ambulance but we could if you think we should."

"No. Not unless she seems to be having any problems. Let me get there and I'll check. I'll take her if she needs the hospital," I said, jumping up and grabbing my purse. Kala had disappeared. Then I saw her running back from the backyard. She had gone to get Brendon.

"Sarah? What's happened? What happened to Sam?" He asked as he came into the living room, the dogs at his heels.

"Something happened at school. She passed out but no one seems to know why," I said. "I'm going to the school to see if she needs the hospital."

"I'm coming with you," he said. Of course he would. I smiled.

"This is just great. Tyler and Jenna are going to make her go home if this is another medical issue from the accident. You don't think something happened, like, something tore, broke, leaked? Do you think maybe she had a stroke or something?"

"Brendon, relax. Let's get to the school and find out what happened. Maybe she'll be awake by the time we get there."

He looked at me with his jaw set. He nodded.

"Okay," he said.

Kala said she'd call later and check in, and that she'd clean up from our lunch. Zack and Kala both practically lived here, so we had no problem leaving her to help out. You can't ask for better friends than that.

Brendon and I ran out to the car and I hopped into the drivers seat.

"I'll drive," Brendon said.

"No. I will. You're too emotional right now," I said. He looked at me, the. At his lap. I know he was worried something seriously bad happened to Sam.

I drove as quickly as I dared to the high school. I was really hoping Sam wasn't about to fight something serious again. She's at a higher risk of infection right now, especially without her spleen, and all the surgeries she's had.

"Dammit," I said. "It's her first day back. What happened?"

"I don't know," Brendon said.

"Oh. No. Sorry. I wasn't asking. I was being rhetorical," I said. Brendon nodded.

We got to the school, I parked out front, and we hopped out of the car. I heard Brendon swear, saw the direction he was looking and barely noticed the press at the end of the parking lot. Sam being back at school after the accident must be the story of the day. And now this. I really hoped we weren't going to be faced with another crisis. Sam didn't need that right now.

We ran into the school and into the office. The principal met us and took us to the nurse's office.

"The nurse called in about five minutes ago that Samantha woke up, but she hasn't said anything to her. Samantha to the nurse, I mean," he said.