56. Samantha

Friday morning I woke up feeling nervous but otherwise okay. I got up, showered, got dressed and went downstairs for breakfast. Aunt Sarah was putting pancakes on a plate as I came down and smiled at me.

"Good morning, Sweetheart. How'd you sleep?"

"Morning. I slept okay," I smiled back.

"You look, I don't know, better? Better rested?" Aunt Sarah said. I shrugged. I hadn't told them about my dream yet. I would. I just...hadn't.

Uncle Brendon came in the front door with the dogs.

"Hey! Look who's up. You ready for school?" He asked. I nodded through a mouthful of pancake.

Once I was done eating, Aunt Sarah drove me to school.

I was floating through the day, excited by the thought of Dylan coming over to watch a movie tonight, and feeling lighter after having talked to Dr. Angela yesterday. I hadn't had a dream like I'd had Tuesday night. And I have to admit, I'd been looking to see if Brandi would suddenly appear in my waking world. She hadn't, I wasn't hallucinating. Maybe Dr. Angela was right and it was really me and my subconscious giving me permission to let go of feeling guilty about the accident.

Aunt Sarah picked me up from school and I was all over the place trying to figure out what I should wear. Was this a date? Could this be considered a date?

I went upstairs after we had dinner and as I was looking through my clothes I had a thought intrude on me. What if he's like Tristan?

I pulled on sweatpants and a hoodie. I didn't want to show off too much.

I went downstairs once I was changed.

"Sam?" Aunt Sarah said as I came down the stairs. "What's up? Why are you in sweats? I thought you were going to put on jeans."

"What if he's like Tristan?" I asked.

"I think he's very much not like Tristan," Aunt Sarah said. "For starters, he asked to give you a hug on Monday when we came to get you. He didn't seem to be acting. But sweetheart, we're going to be right here. If you're feeling even a little uncomfortable, just let me or Brendon know, and we'll do something. Okay?"

I nodded. I was way more nervous now. I couldn't stop thinking how Tristan had seemed trustworthy and nice. What if Dylan was the same?  I never thought Tristan would be that kind of person.

"Hey, Sam," Dylan said, coming into the living room, where I was sort of standing.

"Hey Dylan," I said, putting my hands in my hoodie pocket to stop me from chewing on my thumbnail.

"I, uh, I brought chips," he said, holding up a tote bag.  I smiled at him.

"Thanks," I said.

"You two go get your movie set up. I made you popcorn and there are drinks in the fridge," Aunt Sarah said. "We'll be outside for a while. Just sitting and chatting."

"Where we will be able to hear you," Uncle Brendon said. I rolled my eyes at him.

"What movie are you watching?" Aunt Sarah asked.

"Uh, 'The Shining'," Dylan said. "The Kubrick version. Sam's never seen it."

"Ooh. Good choice. I might stay and watch," Uncle Brendon said. I shot him a look. "Or, maybe not."

They went into the backyard and I turned on the movie. Dylan took the remote and navigated the menu. We both sat on the couch facing the TV. I didn't know what to do. Where should my hands be? Should I curl up the way I usually do when I watch TV? Should l be closer to Dylan? Further away?