54. Brendon

Sam was in a worse mood when I picked her up after school. She wasn't in a terrible mood but her features had darkened and she wasn't smiling.

She sighed as she got into the front seat.

"Hey there," I said, frowning slightly. "Are you alright?"

Samantha turned to face me and looked a little surprised.

"Oh, hi Uncle B. I thought Aunt Sarah was coming. Sorry. Yeah. I'm okay," she said.

"Are you sure? You don't look very okay," I said.

Sam looked out the window as I pulled onto the street. I saw a frown cross her features as I glanced over. I decided we needed to stop for a treat. Some ice cream and a chat.

I turned off all couple of blocks before our street and pulled into a Dairy Queen.

"What are we doing here?" Sam said, her frown deepening.

"I feel like you need a minute and maybe to talk a little. I personally like to have my deep talks over something enjoyable," I said. Sam nodded.

We went up to the window and ordered our ice cream. I led Samantha to a table off to the side where we'd be less likely to be interrupted.

"So," I said, digging into my Praline Mudslide. "Spill. What's got that beautiful smile of yours upside down?"

Sam had her spoon in her mouth and looked like she was contemplating something. She tapped the cleaned off spoon against her chin.

"I'm not sure how to explain it," she said, looking away, into the distance. She sighed.

"Well, just talk," I suggested. "Start easy until you're able to get to what you're grappling with."

"I'm not really grappling with anything. It's just," she stopped, looked away, closed her eyes and sighed and then opened her eyes and looked at me. "Ashton."

"What about him? He was Brandi's boyfriend, right? Don't tell me he hit on you," I said. That's be pretty low, I thought. To hit on the friend of your late ex-girlfriend? The one who was with her when she died?

"No," Sam said. "Nothing like that. He came up to me at lunch today to see if I was okay because of Monday."

I nodded.

"I don't know. It's like he wants me to forgive him."

"For what?" I asked.

"I don't think even he knows. Pissing Brandi off enough that she wound up getting into the accident, maybe? Or maybe just that I was there when she got into the accident? I'm not really sure if he wants forgiveness for whatever or if he's trying to just alleviate his own guilt," Samantha said.

I looked at her as she looked into her ice cream cup and dug at the icy treat within. She frowned.

"I don't know if I'm supposed to forgive him or what I'm supposed to forgive him for. If anything," she continued. "He cheated on Brandi, not me. So I can't, and won't, forgive him for that. That's not for me to do. He's going to have to live with that."

I nodded. I wasn't sure how much she wanted me to interject or advise.

"And I don't know if I can forgive him for making Brandi so upset she was driving the way she was. But, there's something else bugging me now, and I don't know what to do about it," she carried on. She stopped and was looking at me.

"What's that?" I asked.

Sam took a deep breath and looked at me straight in the eyes.

"Don't get mad because I just found this out myself."

Leave The City (Book 8 of Adopted by the Josephs)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara