44. Jenna

"Mama?" A small voice pulled me out of my sleep. Having just gone to bed after dealing with Samantha's low, it was not a welcome sound. But my Rosie was awake and poking me. I opened my eyes to see my daughter standing right in front of me, looking worried.

"What's up, RosieRo?" I asked her, sitting up, and pulling her up into my lap.

"Sammy's mad and sad," Rosie said.

"I know, baby," I said. "Mommy and Daddy made her upset because we didn't talk to her about something first."

"I don't want Sammy to leave," Rosie said.

"What do you mean?" I asked her, brushing a little strand of her soft  blonde hair out of her face.

"I don't want Sammy to go away. Sammy wants to go away."

Rosie and Samantha's bond never failed to amaze me. Rosie was so in tune with Samantha. I wondered if Samantha was as in tune and, being older, chose to ignore the feelings from Rosie that Rosie could clearly feel from Samantha.

"Sammy's not going anywhere," I said, trying to reassure her. "She's in bed."

"Nuh uh. Sammy went downstairs," Rosie said. I frowned in confusion. How on earth would Rosie know that?

"She did? Should we go check on her?" I said, checking on Junie, who was fast asleep.

Rosie nodded. I got out of bed and picked her up, arranging her on my hip and trying to reassure her that everything was okay.

Except, as soon as I left the bedroom, I saw the light on downstairs. I frowned and carried Rosie towards and then down the stairs. Brendon, Tyler and Samantha were sitting at the dining room table.

"Sam? What's going on? Why are you all down here?" I asked. I saw Samantha's backpack on the  floor beside her. She was sitting at the end of the table, away from Tyler and Brendon, her arms crossed and a look on her face that couldn't be mistaken for anything but rage. She was not happy. Tyler looked miserable. He looked like he had been, or still was, crying.

"Did we wake you up?" Tyler asked.

"No. Rosie did," Jenna said. "Rosie, do you want to tell Daddy and Sammy what woke you up?"

I sat at the table, nearest to Samantha, Rosie in my lap.

"Sammy's sad and mad and I don't want her to be," Rosie said, cuddled into me. "Sammy? Why are you mad and sad? Don't you love us?"

We all looked over at Samantha, who was looking at Rosie with a look that was unreadable.

Until she burst into tears.

"Samantha," I said, putting my hand out for her. She kept her hands crossed against her chest. Rosie struggled against me to get down, so I let her go. She slid off my lap and went over to Samantha, wrapping her arms around Samantha and hugging her big sister.

"Sammy, don't go. Please?" Rosie said to her. "Okay?"

Samantha didn't respond but continued sobbing quietly. Rosie leaned her head against Samantha's arm while she kept hugging her.

"Samantha," I said again. "What's going on, sweetheart?"

"It seems..." Brendon started. I put up my hand to stop him.

"I want to hear it from Samantha, thanks, Brendon," I said, hoping I didn't come across too harshly. "So, you want to tell me what's going on?"

Samantha shook her head.

"Well, we can't help you through whatever this is, if you won't speak to us," I said.

"Sam," Tyler said, his voice cracking with emotion. "Please. Talk with us."