18. Samantha

Friday afternoon Brendon and Sarah drove me to the airport. They'd stopped me from packing my suitcases and tried to assure me I wasn't being forced to stay in Ohio. I doubted that but if they wanted to pack and ship my stuff back... I sighed I'd probably have to pay for it.

They tried to hug me, but I knew they weren't sincere. I turned away and went through security and sat at my gate waiting for the flight I didn't want to take for so many reasons.

No one would know if I left the airport. But where would I go? I sighed. Might as well go home and face the music.

The flight was uneventful. Which is good. I just listened to music and sat curled up in my seat, looking out the window. My leg was itchy under the sock which was under the part of my prosthetic that covered it. It was so annoying. I kept sort of hitting my leg with my fist. It helped because it caused enough friction to sort of make it feel like I was scratching the itch.

When we landed, I waited to get off the plane. I wanted to delay seeing the disappointment in my parents' faces.

I picked up my backpack and walked off the plane and towards the luggage area and out through the doors.

I saw Mom but not Dad. I frowned.

Mom gathered me in a hug that I did not return.

"How was the flight?" She asked. I shrugged.

"Where's Dad?" I asked.

"He's at home with your sisters," Mom said.

"Oh," I said. Last time they'd gotten Josh and Debby to watch the girls. I guess Dad is really mad at me.

"Are you alright?" Mom was asking. I shrugged.

"Sam?" She stopped and turned my face to her. "What's the matter?"

"It's nothing," I said. Like she didn't know.

"It's not nothing. You look miserable. Honey, what's the matter?"

"Nothing," I said, my voice shaking. "Nothing's the matter!"

Mom pulled me into a hug.

"Something is bothering you. I can see it, and I hope you'll tell me, but I won't force you to."

Because she didn't really care.

I followed Mom out to the car and put my backpack in the back, climbing into the front seat.

"We're so glad you're home. Not so much for the reason, but it'll be nice to have all my girls home for a little," Mom was saying. Sure. I bet they were all thrilled to have me home. They can remind me the whole time what a disappointment I am.

A tear rolled down my cheek and I wiped it away hoping Mom didn't see.

Finally we pulled into the driveway. I didn't look up at the house. I wasn't happy to be home for maybe the first time ever.

I got out of the car and grabbed my backpack and crutches from the back. Dad came outside and pulled me into a hug.

"Welcome home, honey," he smiled at me. Even I could see how fake his smile was.

"Yeah," I said, pushing past him and going into the house. I went straight up to my room and closed my door. I took my meds and crawled into my bed.

There was a knock on my door and someone opened it.

"Sam?" It was Dad.

"I'm really tired. I just want to sleep," I said.

"You're not hungry?"