6. Samantha

"You ready?" Aunt Sarah asked as we pulled up to the school.

"No," I squeaked. "I mean, yes. No. Yes. No, nope."

Aunt Sarah laughed.

"Get going. I'll be back at 2:30," she said.

"Do I have to?" I asked, watching the front of the school fill with students all greeting each other.

"Yes, you do," a voice from the back seat said. Uncle B was keeping a low profile. "You're going to do great."

"Okay, I'm ready," I said, putting my hand on the door handle. "Nope."

Suddenly there was a knock on the window. I turned around, stunned. There was a very tanned and blonde girl standing outside in a school t-shirt. Aunt Sarah rolled the window down.

"Hi!" She said. Way too perky. "Are you Samantha Joseph?"

"Yeah," I said.

"Hi! I'm Brandi. I'm the Head Cheerleader for the Mustangs and your official escort for today."

"Nice to meet you Brandi," Aunt Sarah said. "Samantha, go."

I shot her a look and plastered on a smile. I opened the door and got out of the car.

"Hi," I said, adjusting my backpack.

"Welcome to Mulholland High," Brandi said. Brandi. And a cheerleader. Could she have been anymore the stereotype?

"Thanks," I said.

"You know something?" She said. "Your mom looks familiar."

"She's not my mom. She's my aunt," I said.

"Oh. Sorry," she said.

"Why?" I asked.

"I didn't know. But she still looks familiar," Brandi said.

"Her daughter used to go here. But before we would have started. Her name was Jessica," I stopped before I revealed their last name, swallowing hard.

"Hmm," Brandi said. "Okay. So, this is the administration building. We can go get your schedule if you don't already have it."

"I have it," I said, pulling the card out of my back pocket. Brandi scrutinized it.

"You're taking almost all AP classes?" She said.

"Yeah," I said.

"Impressive. Looks like we'll have English, Trig and Music together," she said. There went that stereotype. I smiled.

"Cool," I said. "What do you play?"

"Don't laugh, okay?"

"I wouldn't,"

"Drums," she said.

"No way! My uncle Josh plays the drums!"

"Hold on a second," Brandi said. Uh oh.

"What?" I asked.

"Joseph. You're Tyler Joseph's kid, right?"

"Yeah," I said. Great. Bet I just lost my first potential friend.

"So your uncle Josh wouldn't happen to be Josh Dun, would he?" She smiled.

"Yeah. He would be," I sighed.

"Cool! He's why I got into the drums in the first place. What do you play?"

I was a little stunned, to be honest. She hadn't fangirled at me. She'd reacted like it was just matter of fact. Maybe we could be friends.