24. Doc

I knocked lightly on the door to the hospital room.

"Come in," a voice called out. It sounded like Jenna. I smiled. No matter what, the Josephs have been by Samantha's side from the day I met her. The family held a special place in my heart. Samantha held a special place in my heart. She was one of the reasons I'd gone into psychology and specialized in adolescent and child care. Ever since I first met her, I did not know I would meet her again and that she'd become my patient. I'd told Samantha this story before she'd left for California. I had initially met her in the emergency room at Nationwide Children's Hospital when she was about six or eight years old. I didn't know who she was or would become when I first met her. She had been found wandering in her neighbourhood in light, thin pyjamas on a chilly October night, holding a ratty stuffed hippo. Someone in the neighbourhood had called the police, and they'd brought her to the hospital to be checked over. Because she wouldn't speak, they asked me to assess her. I was a resident then, still wondering if psychology was the right place for me. Then I met this tiny girl with these big blue eyes. She didn't speak much and really not at all until I asked her if she wanted a hot chocolate. Then she'd smiled and said she would.

She was gone by the time I got back from the cafeteria. Not more than five minutes. Her father had arrived at the hospital and picked her up, taking her before anyone could do any thorough assessments. I sometimes wonder if things would have worked out differently for Samantha, had I had the chance to talk with her more that night. I'd always wondered what had happened to the little girl with the two missing front teeth, the lisp because of it, the stuffed hippo and those big blue eyes.

Until she walked into my office five years ago.

And now I was walking into her hospital room as she fought off another infection. But she was awake, conscious and other than looking a little tired, she looked okay.

"Doc?!" Samantha exclaimed as I walked into her room. Tyler followed.

"Hi there," I smiled. "How's my favourite ex-patient?"

Samantha smiled and I saw it reached her eyes. It was how we knew she was actually okay.

"Besides this," she indicated the room. "I'm okay."

Jenna looked at Tyler and I saw a look pass between them.

"Sam, you mind if Mom and I go grab a coffee while Doc visits?"

Her features clouded over for just a second and then cleared, a smile returning to her face and eyes.

"So," I said, pulling a chair up to Samantha's bedside.

"You didn't have to get all dressed up to see me," Samantha joked.

"I wouldn't have if I hadn't had to testify about some kid I used to treat," I smirked back.

"Oh," Samantha said, getting a little more serious. "How did that go?"

"It was alright. Your, um, uncle," Samantha frowned at that. I knew she didn't think of him as her uncle. Not really.  "Well, he sure knows how to pick lawyers."

Samantha laughed.

"Yeah. He's got a killer one now, huh?"

"He sure does," I smiled.

"Doc?" Samantha asked. "I know I'm not your patient anymore but, can I talk to you about something?"

"Anything. Though I think I know what this is about. Your dad called me when you came home."

"Yeah. Can I talk to you about that?"

"Sure.  Of course," I said. I would listen, as I had as her doctor, but I'd advise as a friend.