Chapter 7: A debt

The next day, around 11 am.

Cale opened his eyes after hearing some noises.

"Young master, you were sleeping so soundly that I did not wake you up."

He had slept in. His exhaustion due to the meeting with Choi Han made him fall asleep before the food ever showed up.

His eyes then fell on the kittens.

Seeing this Hans, added.

''When I came with your meal, you were already fast asleep. But then I saw your kittens. So I took care of them.  Aren't they even cuter, lovelier, and more adorable now? They are so mean though, they wouldn't even let me pet them. Haha!" 

Hans crouched next to the kittens and looked up at Cale with satisfaction. His expression was so full of admiration that it surprised Cale. His expression was not related to the cuteness of the kittens.

"Don't you agree?"

He seems to like cats very much.

"Oh, um, I guess so."

The two kittens, that were sitting on a silk cushion that came from who knows where, definitely looked fuller and healthier. What kind of magic did this  butler do in that short amount of time? However, the two kittens continued to avoid Hans's gaze. It seemed to be a very stereotypical relationship between a butler and a cat.

''Also I need to inform you that the count wishes to see you.''

''Is it important?'' 

''Yes, he told me that he must tell you something important and that you should go right away.''

Cale had a bad feeling.

''I understand.''

After breakfast and dressing up, he left the kittens in the room and headed toward his father's office.

''What about the punk I brought yesterday, did he meet with father?'' he asked Hans who was walking with him.

''Yes.''

''What did he ask for?''

''Ah.''

Hans seemed shocked at Cale's sudden words, before quickly putting on a serious expression and started to report. It was the information Cale expected it to be.

Hans could not hide his sorrow and disappointment while sharing about what happened to Harris Village, and had gone to the Count with Choi Han to deliver the Village Chief's Plaque that Choi Han brought.

''What did my father said?''

 ''The Count immediately ordered for a funeral and will be sending inspectors, knights, and soldiers to investigate."

Mm. Hans stopped for a moment and hesitated before continuing to speak.

"However, the young man has indicated he will not be going back with us."

Hans recalled meeting the Count with Choi Han, as Choi Han explained the situation to the Count.

Choi Han was speaking normally, but the tips of his fingers were shaking. It was then that Hans found out that Choi Han was 17 years old. He was able to keep his life because he happened to be searching for medicinal herbs on his own at the time of the massacre, but he still had to watch his neighbors and friends all being killed at such a young age. Just how much shock would he have received?

"Will that be okay?"

That was why Hans had asked Cale. Will it be okay for him to not say his final farewell?