Father and Son

Kenny hobbled his way to a tree after the cave explosion he had burns all over his body plus the stab wound Levi left him with, he took off his armor, slid down the tree, and dozed off.

"Kenny." A voice said.

Kenny opened his eyes and saw Levi and another Scout standing over him with rifles.

"Oh, gee..." Kenny sighed. "It's you?"

"Your comrades we fought..." Levi said. "They all ended up getting crushed. Are you the only survivor?"

"Seems that way," Kenny said.

"Report back," Levi said to the other Scout. "I'm fine here alone."

"Understood." The scout said and ran off.

Levi took a long stare at Kenny.

"With those burns and that blood loss..." Levi said. "There is no helping you now..."

Kenny's mouth turned into a small grin.

"Yeah?" He said. "I wonder..."

Kenny took out a small box and opened it revealing a syringe with a bottle of blue liquid.

"I swiped this little one straight out of Rod's bag." Kenny declared. "Seems if I inject this....I'll turn into a Titan...One of those dumb Titans.... unfortunately....For a while...it should extend my...life."

"You've had the time and strength to inject yourself," Levi said. "Why haven't you?"

"Yeah..." Kenny said. "I wonder...If I don't inject it right...I might end up like he did...all messed up."

"I know you're not just sitting here waiting to die," Levi said. "Don't you have a better excuse?"

"The kid shouldn't see me like that..." Kenny said. "He shouldn't have to kill me...I think I understand everything now..."

"Huh?" Levi asked. "What kid."

A dry chuckle came from Kenny.

"You mean you didn't figure it out...?" Kenny asked. "You weren't as smart as I thought you were...or maybe the kid is better than I thought..."

"Who's kid?" Levi asked.

"Drinking...Women ... .Worshiping god even...Family.....The King ... .Dreams...Children...Power...." Kenny said. "Everyone has to be drunk on something to keep pushing forward...Everyone is a slave to something...even me."

"What are you a slave to?" Levi asked.

"Looking after someone..." Kenny said.

"Then why did you leave me?!" Levi asked all out of patience.

"Because...I'm not meant to be a father..." Kenny said. "But a grandpa...I could do that."

"What do you mean?" Levi said.

"Do you notice anybody in the Scout with extraordinary abilities...?" Kenny asked.

Levi thought for a second.

"Lando, Mikasa, and Eren." Levi said.

"Which one of those people doesn't have a last name?" Kenny said.

"Lando," Levi asked. "Stop with all the games."

"Do you remember a girl from the Underground...?" Kenny asked.

Levi thought again.

"Isabell," Levi said.

"Nope..." Kenny said. "There is another. Think long and hard."