Who Will You Save?

Another rock barrage came falling from the sky crashing against the wall.

"We're doomed!" A recruit shouted.

"Erwin..." Levi said. "Do you have some sort of plan?"

Erwin started to think as seconds turned into minutes and while he thought there was an explosion at the top of the wall that rang out. Lando looked up and saw Eren's Titan lying there seemingly knocked out.

"Hey..." Levi asked. "Is that Eren?"

"How do you get thrown that hard?" Lando asked.

"It's...him," Levi said, referring to the Colossal Titan.

Erwin continued to think while Levi and Lando watched the Scouts try to bring down the Colossal Titan without Eren's help. Thunder Spears exploded while Scouts flew around the Titan trying to damage it but to no effect. And while they were fighting the Colossal Titan the Beast Titan threw another round.

"The Beast Titan has a good guess as to where we're at," Levi said. "This place will look like honeycomb soon."

"Commander," Lando said. "If you're saying we've got no chance of a counterattack we should retreat, or at least get ready to. We could wake up sleeping beauty up there and try to get as many people on him and let him run away."

"We'll at least have some survivors," Levi said, agreeing with Lando's plan.

"Hey!" Marlo screamed. "That horse was your job!" Marlo was trying to pick up the same recruit Lando helped earlier.

"Shut up!" The recruit demanded. "Like it matters!"

"Excuse me?!" Marlo exclaimed.

"Those Scouts were insanely strong and they died in an instant!" The recruit cried. "You know as well as I do! What good is protecting horses...when there's nobody left to ride them home?!" The remaining Scouts stayed quiet, they knew the recruit was right. "It all made sense at one point...If humanity hid behind the walls, we'd someday get slaughtered by Titans out of nowhere. Somebody has to bite the bullet and risk taking action. In order for others not to be victims, we needed people to become victims instead. Who will be that brave soldier? When I was asked that, I actually believed that I could be that someone! But I never thought...that being sent to my death...would turn out to be utterly meaningless in the end! Now that I think about it, I bet almost everyone ends up saying the same thing as me. Why did I ever think that I'd...somehow be different?"

"What if whoever's left of the recruits and Hange's group scatter on horses..." Levi said, still trying to give ideas. "And try to make it home? By using them as a decoy, you guys could escape on Eren."

"Levi," Erwin said. "What would you do?"

"I'm facing the Beast Titan," Levi said. "I'll drive him away-"

"No," Lando said.

"Impossible," Erwin said. "You won't even get close."

"Probably not," Levi said. "But if you and Eren return home alive, then there's still hope. Isn't that the best we could ask for at this point?"

"What about Lando?" Erwin asked.

Levi didn't want to talk about that, the main reason he would sacrifice himself would be to save Lando but he couldn't say that to Erwin.

"He'll take my place as Humanity's Strongest Soldier," Levi said.

"I don't wanna be Humanity's Strongest Soldier," Lando said. "That's your title."

Levi sighed. "What a huge defeat...To be perfectly honest, only a few of us would make it back alive."

"Yes," Erwin said. "Assuming we had no way to counterattack."